Chicken Sounds question?

nao57

Crowing
Mar 28, 2020
So... I haven't had chickens long. I only have 2. (I mostly have ducks.)

I've learned to separate them and they've been separate for about a week now.

But...I wonder, how do you know when they are happy or unhappy?

(They have plenty of food, shelter, etc.)

How do you know which sounds are positive? And which are negative?

To me all the chicken sounds sound kind of pathetic compared to ducks. I'm not a duck supremacist though. And my chickens are black. I have both white and black and brown ducks too. The black runners are just as cute as the white ducks. So I'm not racist. :p

But I really have paid so much attention to the ducks that I don't know which sounds are what for chickens...or is there only one sound period?

It takes time. Bring treats and that noise will be a happy noise. Fail to open the pop door at the crack of dawn and you will likely hear the angry comlaining.
Mine have different sounds for different kinds of predators. Hawk warning is way to common here. :hmm

There is the egg song, the “let me out of here” squawking that gets on your nerves, there is the “I’m happy” berking noises, and then a host of others. I am most familiar with the first three 🤷🏻‍♀️

There is the egg song, the “let me out of here” squawking that gets on your nerves, there is the “I’m happy” berking noises, and then a host of others. I am most familiar with the first three 🤷🏻‍♀️

Your profile pic is interesting. haha.

Your profile pic is interesting. haha.
Yes, it was interesting when it happened, too! That flock of birds was very friendly and I was holding the two, and the third decided to fly onto my head. It was weird... but definitely needed to be captured, haha

Back
Top Bottom