chicken space

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by happyfeet, Jan 16, 2008.

1. happyfeet

happyfeet Out Of The Brooder

Dec 24, 2007
    I have 3 acres in Ohio. We ordered 25 chickens in August of 2007. My girls are beautiful ladies and wonderful layers (even though we live in the snow belt of Ohio). I fell in love with them and want to get more in February. They have total control of my barn. I want to build them their own laying house, since we are getting some goats in the spring (and they will get the barn). I need to know how much square footage I need for a total of 50 hens. I have read anywhere from 2-4 square feet per hen. So my question is, what is it? 2,3, or 4 square feet per ladie?

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    It depends on a) whether they will also have access to the outside, and b) how much you want to push your luck ( less space per bird = more likelihood of getting problematic levels of picking, cannibalism, susceptibility to disease, etc.

More is generally a lot better than less - the only possible exception being in an unheated coop in MUCH MUCH colder climates than you're in.

I know that does not really answer your question but I think it's sorta the way it is [​IMG]

Good luck,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by