Chicken squatting

ElaynasChick

Songster
Sep 30, 2019
Washington
So my chickens are all about five months old and i noticed today my white leghorn squatted when i put my hand on her, and i have heard that that means they are ready to lay. i have a video of it that i will try to post here. so when should i expect her to lay now that she is squatting? also a couple nights ago when i went to lock there door at night i saw that one leghorn laying on the ground, maybe she was just relaxing but all the other chickens where running around in the coop while she was laying there next to them she normally doesn't lay down so could this be a sign that she is ready to lay?

Don't worry about the video, most of us have seen it.
A lot of people do think that means laying is imminent after squatting.
I'm not so sure. IMHO, squatting is a desire to breed, not necessarily that laying is around the corner. The best indication is the space between the pointy pelvic bones.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/I haven't had a hen squat for me in years and there have been thousands of eggs laid here in that time.

Don't worry about the video, most of us have seen it.
A lot of people do think that means laying is imminent after squatting.
I'm not so sure. IMHO, squatting is a desire to breed, not necessarily that laying is around the corner. The best indication is the space between the pointy pelvic bones.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/I haven't had a hen squat for me in years and there have been thousands of eggs laid here in that time.
Oh okay, i will try the pelvic space thing. i can't wait for my first egg. thank you!!

Squatting and wide pelvic spacing can happen a week or three before an egg appears.
But yeah, closer than it's ever been. :D

so is two finger the space they need for laying
Like the article says......
"More than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means laying.
(Spacing is relative with chickens size and humans finger size.)
(Spacing also relative with bantams, compare laying to not laying birds.)
With practice and experience it will get easier."

our 6 month old girls just started laying. one hen (rooster) had put out an egg every day for 3 weeks now. she was squatting a week prior. the second (belina) just started squatting last week and is on day 3 of laying now

Back
Top Bottom