Chicken starving herself was previously ill

Jojo37

Hatching
Sep 19, 2018
Hello all,
I posted a thread a month or so ago about my brown hen who was on her 2nd/3rd bout of illness. (The vet thought it was a bacterial infection ) She was treated with sulfatrim drops for 10 days and then wormed after the right time had passed. I have been giving her probiotics. She returned to normal and was her usual fun self.
Unfortunately this week she woke up one day and wouldn’t touch her food. She hasn’t touched it since apart from
The tiniest bite of corn or egg. Her poop is normal and she’s not huddled she was last time she was il. She’s been out a bit. Checked her tummy and no lumps. She’s about 2.5/3. Any ideas? I would hate to see her waste away after all she’s been through- would be so sad.and we just have one other who was a rescue. That one is fine but she sometimes adopts the ill ones behaviour and gets affected by it.
I am not sure if the bacterial infection has caused general discomfort and now she’s in pain (how do you tell?). She’s not drinking either. Has got colder this week though not freezing.
Have a vets appointment this week but I fear she’s done all she can in the past with the antibiotics (she didn’t seem to know what was wrong exactly and tried 3 types of antibiotic over 3 times)

Thank you!

:hugs
Sometimes things happen and we have no control over them. Or have cures for them.
I have no suggestions as to remedy:(.. If Vet did not know,,,, then it may be something beyond our control.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,, SINCERELY
And ............... :welcome

Obviously, she will not live long without eating and drinking particularly, so this is very serious and she will not be eating because she feels ill for some reason. Some birds sulk during moult and eat less but if she really is eating as little as you say, there is a problem.
It would be helpful if we knew some of her history as regards where you got her from and how long you have had her and the symptoms of the previous illnesses, how long between them and if she responded to the treatment given or just seemed to perk back up herself. Also what do you normally feed them..... main feed and treats?

You have the option to tube feed her which involves putting a tube (catheter)down her throat into her crop and syringing fluids and then food, directly into her stomach. The vet may be able to help you get started with that or there are you tube videos which show you how to do it. It sounds scary but it is actually quite simple and safer than trying to syringe water and food into them.
Bringing her into a warm environment will help her. If she is not eating, she will have no calories to burn to maintain her body temperature and she will be burning her body muscle away. I would give her a heat source.... ideally a heat pad covered in an old towel to help make her comfortable. Sometimes a warm bath and blow dry with a hair drier can revive them a bit but should not be done with a really sick or weak bird and should be well supervised throughout to prevent a risk of drowning.
Have you checked inside her mouth to make sure there are no obstructions or lesions that are making eating uncomfortable or difficult?
Have you checked that her crop is functioning correctly... If she is not eating anything then it should be flat and empty. If it is not empty particularly on a morning before she has access to food, then that tells you there is a blockage somewhere. It may be her crop or it could be lower down her digestive tract. Reprodductive disorders are common in hens of her age. I appreciate that you say there are no lumps in her belly but it is often more of a fullness or bloat than obvious areas of swelling. Feeling is the best way to assess it and compare with your healthy hen. I cup my hand between their legs when they are roosting to assess this and comparing one to another is the best way to determine if one has some problem in that area.

A photo of her and one of her poop would be helpful. Is she able to walk normally when she is prompted or is she wobbly or will she not walk at all? Is she still standing?
Do you know when she last laid an egg?

Hopefully some more info might help us help you to help her.

Hello all,
I posted a thread a month or so ago about my brown hen who was on her 2nd/3rd bout of illness. (The vet thought it was a bacterial infection ) She was treated with sulfatrim drops for 10 days and then wormed after the right time had passed. I have been giving her probiotics. She returned to normal and was her usual fun self.
Unfortunately this week she woke up one day and wouldn’t touch her food. She hasn’t touched it since apart from
The tiniest bite of corn or egg. Her poop is normal and she’s not huddled she was last time she was il. She’s been out a bit. Checked her tummy and no lumps. She’s about 2.5/3. Any ideas? I would hate to see her waste away after all she’s been through- would be so sad.and we just have one other who was a rescue. That one is fine but she sometimes adopts the ill ones behaviour and gets affected by it.
I am not sure if the bacterial infection has caused general discomfort and now she’s in pain (how do you tell?). She’s not drinking either. Has got colder this week though not freezing.
Have a vets appointment this week but I fear she’s done all she can in the past with the antibiotics (she didn’t seem to know what was wrong exactly and tried 3 types of antibiotic over 3 times)

Thank you!
Can you post some photos of her and her poop?
I'm sorry she is not doing well.

Did you feel of her abdomen between the legs for any bloat/swelling or fluid?
In your other thread a while back you mentioned this: noticed over last few months her abdomen is puffy and large
Is her crop empty in the mornings before she eats/drinks?

Unless, I'm reading incorrectly, she's a "rescue"? She may be struggling with some reproductive problems. Often times hens with internal laying, cancer, tumors, Salpingitis or similar can rally for a short period of time when they have antibiotic treatment, but sadly they decline once the antibiotics stop.
Getting another fecal float or gram stain may be a good idea, just to see if worms or infection is the cause.

Back
Top Bottom