Chicken still limping

Mandy120

In the Brooder
Jul 6, 2022
My 14 month old chicken has been limping for over 3 weeks, It's not bumble foot I have soaked for 1-1/2 weeks in epsom salt, given her 1/2 baby aspirin keeping her in dog cage at night have a small pen on grass during the day near the other chickens, can't let her with flock they attack her. She is eating, drinking and laying a egg everyday. When it 1st started she would keep flexing toes on that foot, she now can put some pressure on the foot but still a bad limp any idea what it could be? Thanks

Intergrating her back into the flock will take some time ... Once a chicken is removed from the flock for some time, it returns as an intruder/outsider. You can put her in a wire dog crate w/food & water, put it in the coop with the rest .... See but no touch. Do this for few days and try adding her back, keeping a close eye. There will be pecking order issues at any rate.

She could have sprained her hip, leg, or foot. Usually there would be swelling or possibly green bruising from and injury early on. Have you seen anything like that? Did she ever hold the leg up when she limped? Since she has been out of the flock for so long, it would be nice to place her dog crate inside or near the coop where the others can see her. It may take some time to get her back into her flock. They can be quite mean to an injured chicken or one who has been gone from the flock. I had to place a hen on the other side of the poultry netting from her flock for several months after aa illness which made her lame and separated.

She could have sprained her hip, leg, or foot. Usually there would be swelling or possibly green bruising from and injury early on. Have you seen anything like that? Did she ever hold the leg up when she limped? Since she has been out of the flock for so long, it would be nice to place her dog crate inside or near the coop where the others can see her. It may take some time to get her back into her flock. They can be quite mean to an injured chicken or one who has been gone from the flock. I had to place a hen on the other side of the poultry netting from her flock for several months after aa illness which made her lame and separated.
She would not put weight on it she would keep touching the ground and flexing her toes, she is walking on it now but limping.

Intergrating her back into the flock will take some time ... Once a chicken is removed from the flock for some time, it returns as an intruder/outsider. You can put her in a wire dog crate w/food & water, put it in the coop with the rest .... See but no touch. Do this for few days and try adding her back, keeping a close eye. There will be pecking order issues at any rate.
I will try that thank You

I will try that thank You
Hi I just saw you post on your limping Hen, I hope she is doing better? I have one that just started that l yesterday. I saw your video and that
Is exactly how mine is walking. I have done a
couple of epsom salt soaks I don’t see any thing
at first glance but I’m not really sure what to
look for other than the bumble foot .
Any updates on yours? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom