Chicken stopped going to roost

Kenandlinda

Hatching
Apr 18, 2016
I have 5 sex link laying hens and have a problem (I think). We got them about 2 months ago and they all adapted to the coop and the roost inside with the on problem. However for the last 4 nights 1 hen has decided to sleep under the roost on poop and under another chicken. So for the last 4 nights I have put her up on the roost and she stays there.Tonight (5th night) I looked in coop and there she was sleeping down below the roost again on the poop board.The roost is about 10 inches above the poop board. So I left there her and fear that maybe she's hurt. What I can't figure out is why all of a sudden she changed her habit on going up on the roost. Also wonder if the other hens are crowding her out on the roost and preventing her from getting a spot (maybe being mean to her). Help and opinion needed. TIA, Ken

How big is your coop. Most flocks require multiple roosts so top and bottom hen aren't close to each other. Hens are moody and hormonal this time of year, so birds that got along a few months ago are suddenly not getting along so well. Things will calm down in a few months as hormones wane. You probably need to add a few roosts.

My coop is 4ft wide by 5 feet long by 5 feet high. I can put a 2nd roost in there. I originally had 2 roost bars, both 4 feet long, but they all used the lower roost so I took the higher roost out. My 5 girls are strange I think, but really fun to have. They are currently laying an egg every day so I know they are healthy.

That's good to know, that's a good space, all chickens can be strange, especially in their decision making skills. I would add another roost to see if it helps, your hen may be comfortable sleeping on a poop board. Some hens like sleeping on a wide flat board.

My coop has 11-12 feet of roost and poop board for 15 adult birds......they only use about 4 feet of it.
Some sleep on edge of board, a few sleep on the board under other birds' nether regions.
That's where they feel safe....I've tried to school them, but they insist.
No harm done, I'm sure they sometimes they get pooped on, tho I've never seen any blatantly obvious signs of it. <shrugs>

I ripped out the one roost and installed 2 roosts, one higher than the other. Last night they all went to roost, on the LOWER roost. So maybe something changed for my wayward hen - who knows. I think one of my problems, being a new owner, is I'm paying way too much attention to their every move. It's like growing vegetables, the more you fuss over them, sometimes it turns out to be detrimental. Thanks for your reply.

I ripped out the one roost and installed 2 roosts, one higher than the other. Last night they all went to roost, on the LOWER roost. So maybe something changed for my wayward hen - who knows. I think one of my problems, being a new owner, is I'm paying way too much attention to their every move. It's like growing vegetables, the more you fuss over them, sometimes it turns out to be detrimental. Thanks for your reply.
They will drive you crazy if you get too involved with their politics. I try to mind my own business unless someone is bleeding, otherwise it ends up in a game of musical chickens.

Quote:
lau.gif
I Know, Right!?

Thanks for the advice about leaving them alone unless blood is seen. Fortunately they were raised from chicks together so when I got them the pecking order was already established. They get along great so hopeful blood will be at a minimum (hopefully).

Back
Top Bottom