Help - Silkies aren't sleeping on roost

Aug 25, 2023
Priceville, AL
My Coop
My Coop
I have 3 silkie hens I've had since April. They've developed a very strange habit - - - sleeping in the nesting boxes! When they were just chicks and around 8 weeks old I would put them on the roosting bar because they couldn't jump up on there... but then they started jumping up there! I gave away Marshmallow and they just stopped. They slept on the floor right below the roosting bar. Boba died and then Cookie and Peanut (the only ones I had at the time) started sleeping in a nesting box together. Now I have a new hen and SHE'S sleeping in the nesting boxes too! I KNOW that she used to sleep on a roost at her old house. I did just get her recently, so she should still be doing it, but she's not. Does anyone else have this problem and if so what can you do to fix it? It's confusing because the hens sleep there, so I always think that they're finally laying, but they AREN'T, just sleeping. It's so weird! Please help.

-Moth

If the roost bars are too high up, silkies can’t fly ( or be able to use their wings to propel themselves up) to be able to jump up there. And sometimes it takes a while for them to understand when’re they should sleep.
It's like 3-4 inches off the ground, and they understood where they were supposed to sleep when they were a bit younger???

Back
Top Bottom