Chicken stopped laying and now looks tired

celiacee

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 22, 2012
I have a 1 year old Pekin and she hasn't laid for a week. Apart from that she seemed fine, was active, eating and dust bathing. Her comb also looked a good colour, but I had notice her go to the nest box a few times, yet produce no eggs. I thought maybe she was broody, but she was quick to quit the box when approached.

Today she has reluctantly come out of the coop, drank lots of water and oddly the sand from the dust bath. I thought maybe crop problems and felt her crop which is a bit sqishy, but not full. She seems to be uninterested in the abundance of grit and even turned her nose up at corn.

I have examined her and there are no mites, but her bum is a bit messy (not pasted though). Another element is a cold snap a week ago, which I initially thought might have been responsible for the halt in production. Now she looks very sad and I'm not sure how to treat her. Any ideas are welcome, she's my favourate girl and I'd hate to lose her.

My chicken died last night. We think she was egg bound. Just in case anyone was going to reply

Back
Top Bottom