Chicken stopped laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dyerchickens, Sep 24, 2013.

1. dyerchickens

dyerchickens In the Brooder

Mar 10, 2013
    I have a welsummer pullet that was laying 2 eggs a day until the weather cooled off now she has not layed for almost a week her behavior is normal, so I dont think she is egg bound. I am just concerned is there anything I should be concerned about or is it just the shortened days and change in weather. My black sex link is still laying everyday.

2. dyerchickens

dyerchickens In the Brooder

Mar 10, 2013
    let me correct that, that was 1 egg a day.

3. Lois Little

Lois Little In the Brooder

Aug 12, 2012
    24 of my hens are about 1.5 yrs. old. Last year when they began laying, I could count on almost one egg per hen a day. This year I added 4 new hens (now 6 mos.) and I am only getting 12-14 eggs a day from 28 hens. This is not acceptable to me, as I still have to feed 28 I thought it might be just the new hens, but they have been together for a couple of months now. They never stopped laying over the winter, although eggs were few and far between during the coldest weeks. We do keep a heat lamp bulb in the hen house light during winter, and a fan during hot months. The fan moves the air around, but doesn't do much for cooling. Comments and advice welcome.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: