Chicken stopped laying

dyerchickens

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 10, 2013
I have a welsummer pullet that was laying 2 eggs a day until the weather cooled off now she has not layed for almost a week her behavior is normal, so I dont think she is egg bound. I am just concerned is there anything I should be concerned about or is it just the shortened days and change in weather. My black sex link is still laying everyday.

Lois Little

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 12, 2012
24 of my hens are about 1.5 yrs. old. Last year when they began laying, I could count on almost one egg per hen a day. This year I added 4 new hens (now 6 mos.) and I am only getting 12-14 eggs a day from 28 hens. This is not acceptable to me, as I still have to feed 28 I thought it might be just the new hens, but they have been together for a couple of months now. They never stopped laying over the winter, although eggs were few and far between during the coldest weeks. We do keep a heat lamp bulb in the hen house light during winter, and a fan during hot months. The fan moves the air around, but doesn't do much for cooling. Comments and advice welcome.

Top Bottom