Chicken stress

KatM41

Chirping
Sep 19, 2018
Morning folks,

I have three chickens outside that are about 12 weeks old. One is a wyandott and the other two are orpingtons. Trying to make my story short as I can tell a long story, so here goes.

One Orpington I'm beginning to believe is a rooster. Not only did she start crowing a month ago, but her comb and wattle are bright red and getting bigger by the week. She's also HUGE. This one is my picker. Flaps her wings at the other two, pecks on their backs (not too often but I'm pretty sure the other two get a peck every morning)

About the time we shipped the chickens outside I noticed the other Orpington, Peanut, looked like she was losing a big of weight. A few or three weeks ago I noticed her comb looking a bit pail and then a week ago I noticed diarrhea and more weight loss. Ok worms. So I dewormed them a few days ago. The color of poo changed back to brown just still watery but not foamy. I've literally been smelling their pooh for three days. BUT, when they poo at night at roosting, there's no diarrhea. My fiance thinks maybe Peanut could be getting picked on. He's worried Peanut could be a boy also. Her comb in general seems a bit larger than even the grown hens I see on google. And her tail is pretty pointy for a girl. However, she walks around way more dainty than the Orp (Navora which I guess is a Navorito lol)

Will chickens get liquidy bowels if they are stressed? Is my flock maybe too small? While these are nice chickens, they are chickens, they act like chickens, they are workers and they aren't happy without a job. My bantams will sit around and lounge all day not my orps and wyandott. I was thinking if it's stress related either I give up on the idea of baby chicks this spring and put the rooster in the pot or I try a larger flock giving the rooster more to manage. I'm still treating Peanut as though she's sick though. She's been wormed and I'm bumping up nutrients and diotamacous earth and garlic and all that good stuff. But, if that's not it, then what? Thanks guys, sorry about the longish post, but I'm bringing in strangers to my world with no pics or videos. LOL

About the time we shipped the chickens outside I noticed the other Orpington, Peanut, looked like she was losing a big of weight. A few or three weeks ago I noticed her comb looking a bit pail and then a week ago I noticed diarrhea and more weight loss. Ok worms. So I dewormed them a few days ago. The color of poo changed back to brown just still watery but not foamy.
Can you post photos of them? Photos of the poop?
How long has it been since you moved them outside?
What did you worm them with - name/dosage?
What are you feeding, including treats?
What is your space like - square footage of coop and run?

Stress can make for loose stool, but you will want to evaluate your space as well.
If you have a cockerel that is getting hormonal that can also cause some stress.

With more information and photos we may be able to give you some suggestions.

I'll try to post pics later when I'm back home. I don't do much with treats. Tho now that it seems the worms may be gone I put out some squash today and spinach to replace the vitamin A. I'll cook up some brown rice for b vitamins tonight.

We just set everyone up in a new coop this past weekend. But, the bad poo was before the new coop. Three chickens, new coop run is 7x10.5
Meds were Paparazine (Spelling is wrong LOL) at 1/2 tsp to a few cups of water, it's cold out so they don't drink much. I couldn't offer it to them in the gallon or they wouldn't have finished it for the day.
They eat Dumor feed, I had mistakenly put them on layer feed, but just switched them back to grower finisher feed.

I don't think it's just hormones, The big Orpington has been a bit of a jerk from the get go

Look at the saddle feathers. If they are pointy, then you have a rooster.
I believe when treating worms you are supposed to do a follow up treatment a week or two after the first dosing. Just do a search here for worms, there are tons of articles on deworming on BYC.

Here's some pics of my chickens

Attachments

• 20181119_162305.jpg
    20181119_162305.jpg
    441 KB · Views: 23
  • 20181119_162311.jpg
    20181119_162311.jpg
    409.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 20181119_162307.jpg
    20181119_162307.jpg
    456.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 20181119_162313.jpg
    20181119_162313.jpg
    408.6 KB · Views: 25
I'll try to post pics later when I'm back home. I don't do much with treats. Tho now that it seems the worms may be gone I put out some squash today and spinach to replace the vitamin A. I'll cook up some brown rice for b vitamins tonight.

We just set everyone up in a new coop this past weekend. But, the bad poo was before the new coop. Three chickens, new coop run is 7x10.5
Meds were Paparazine (Spelling is wrong LOL) at 1/2 tsp to a few cups of water, it's cold out so they don't drink much. I couldn't offer it to them in the gallon or they wouldn't have finished it for the day.
They eat Dumor feed, I had mistakenly put them on layer feed, but just switched them back to grower finisher feed.

I don't think it's just hormones, The big Orpington has been a bit of a jerk from the get go
How long were they on layer feed before you switched back to grower/finisher?

Piperazine will treat roundworms only. At that age, it's possible for them to have worms, but if possible get a fecal float just to confirm if they do have them and what type.

I would offer them poultry vitamins instead of something like brown rice to replace vitamins if you feel they need them. That's just me though. If the rice is given as a treat, then all is well:)

Back
Top Bottom