Chicken struggling to walk

chickster11

In the Brooder
Dec 27, 2020
Hi there, I’m new to chickens and all and I’ve finally decided I’d reach out for some advice.
I’ve run into an issue with one of my chicks, she’s a two month old Rhodesia Island red x Sussex. The chickens were left alone for just over a day and when I came back I saw here laying in the corner while a few where still walking around. I thought she was just tired but in the morning when I checked on them she was still in the same spot. I tried getting her to move but she wouldn’t so I took her out and she tried walking in the end, but it was weird she like doesn’t stand properly (I’ll attach a photo) and struggles to move around. I though maybe she has Marek’s but I’m not sure. She seems happy and doesn’t look stressed she’s eating and drinking her droppings are normal.
Any ideas what could be wrong?
399372BD-C1BE-4DA8-AE05-97A6A6110AAB.png
FC6C6204-076E-4F89-A56B-33D206388217.png

It's not Marek's. It doesn't show up this young.

More likely, it's a vitamin deficiency, which isn't all that uncommon in chicks. Try a vitamin E capsule each day along with a half a vitamin B complex tab per day.

Pry open the beak and put the capsule right inside. It will be swallowed without any problem.

She is so cute. I'd check her over, make sure no mites. Will some mealworms, Sunflower seed & raisins get her to move? Is she cold?

It's not Marek's. It doesn't show up this young.

More likely, it's a vitamin deficiency, which isn't all that uncommon in chicks. Try a vitamin E capsule each day along with a half a vitamin B complex tab per day.

Pry open the beak and put the capsule right inside. It will be swallowed without any problem.
Ok thank god, I was scared to keep her around two of four week olds in case she had it but if it doesn’t look like it’s Marek’s then I can now. I’ll have to go buy some vitamins then. Thank you

Back
Top Bottom