Chicken stuck to nesting box

jake45

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 24, 2013
Dear people on backyard chickens one of my chickens wont leave the nesting box but wont lay any eggs either what should I do help please

It sounds like your girl is broody, which means her hormones are telling her to hatch eggs. The presence/absence of a rooster in the flock has no impact on a hen's likelihood to go broody. They stop laying while broody, which is why many people choose to "break" the broodiness - I would suggest doing a search of that term here on BYC as there are several threads about the issue, how to correct it, etc.

Last edited:
Do you think she's broody or ill? If she's broody (hopefully not ill) there are ways to kind of get it out of her system. I'm assuming here you don't want any chicks so letting her set isn't an option. You can try to gently pull her out for a few days to see if she changes her mind. I get about 50/50 success this way. It all depends on the girl.

Other than that I've heard of putting them in a wire cage so the air circulates and kind of snaps them out of it. Let me see if I can find the thread.

Thanks for all your help she is finally coming out everyday and for the most part staying out i think in the end it was just my rooster

Back
Top Bottom