Chicken Stupidity wins badge of Honor

Well you just taught me a lesson. I use the metal feeders and I have notice that the polish get on top and eat from it. I will make a lid tomorrow and use it. Are polish the poliskies of the chicken world or what ? I love my polish. I give them "haircuts" and I make sure they are in the barn and then in the mesh cages in the barn every night. They hang out with the silkies that tend to go to a corner and lay down to roost for the night. I must take 5 to 10 silikes to the cages every night and at least 2 polish. My german spangled roo makes sure he right in the middle of the silkie pile at night. he is such a turd.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
I with you there - they were smart enough to get in there to eat, and not strong enough to get out. It is hard to lose chicks.
sad.png

I would suggest you keep the food topped off so they don't go looking for it. Hanging feeders don't all have lids and if I don't top mine off and make sure fresh feed is running out the bottom instead of it just being full of the powder that they leave behind then a bantam will try to get in there. Since it has the hanging piece in the middle once they squish in they can't figure out how to get back out. Spreading their wings to flap makes them too big to fit. No matter what you use it seems chickens will find a way to get themselves in trouble. It's best to make sure they have fewer reasons to try.

Quote:
yup usually my polish getting the short end of the brain stick. maybe it has something to do with the holes in the skull, then when they get pecked it hits the soft part of the brain.

Interesting and funny replies all. I posted a link to show you the type of feeder. https://www.backyardchickens.com/chicken_feeder.php

I
used his design and it works well, but I guess I should have put in some sort of lid originally. It is hard with those little cluckers though...they always find a way to unintelligently ruin my best laid plans.

Love em to death, but they sure are an interesting breed of pet. I'm hoping mine will begin laying soon too...they sure are getting big.

Back
Top Bottom