Chicken suddenly has very small poop

Maatawry

Chirping
Aug 20, 2015
My girls always had normal poop, but lately her poo is very small, and maybe even a little dry. I don't think she's eating as much as usual but she doesn't seem unhealthy. Any ideas?

I'm not sure my chicken knows what winter is, as she's a house chicken. Since the cold weather, she doesn't go out at all and the change in poop only happened over the last week or so

I'm not sure my chicken knows what winter is, as she's a house chicken. Since the cold weather, she doesn't go out at all and the change in poop only happened over the last week or so

Mine just started doing same thing. In fact was doing a search when I found your question makes me feel better because my baby also is a house chicken. I think us with baby inside notice everything about them every changing aspect about them, not the best thing for a wory wart like me lol so sounds like maybe on to something with it being colder outside.

Cooler weather and higher metabolic rate (internal thermostat) plus less water consumption might result in less fecal matter. You can try warming the water to encourage the ingestion of more water or add cooked veggies to the diet. House chickens can also be affected by shorter daylight hours, drier air due to the heat source of the house, and possible change of diet. Many folks light to spoil their house chickens with cooked oatmeal, cooked veggies, scrambled eggs and the occasional fruit. Remember to make changes in the diet very slowly. As long as your babies are eating well everything should be okay. On the other hand, decreased fecal matter and lack of appetite can indicate something more serious is going on. Kudos for your sharp eye and keen observational skills!

I am noticing this from one of my older girls, a 7-year-old BCM. I noticed this in a girl whose ovarian cancer spread to her digestive system - she was impacted and could only poop out small sized droppings, so I am worried about my old girl.

I am noticing this from one of my older girls, a 7-year-old BCM. I noticed this in a girl whose ovarian cancer spread to her digestive system - she was impacted and could only poop out small sized droppings, so I am worried about my old girl.
Hi - I have the same situation now... I'm wondering what happened to your girl? Mine seems fine after having been very lethargic and passing a shell-less egg. Now she seems so happy and is running around clucking all the time. But her droppings are tiny....

My girls always had normal poop, but lately her poo is very small, and maybe even a little dry. I don't think she's eating as much as usual but she doesn't seem unhealthy. Any ideas?
This can be a sign of being eggbound. Important to remedy any reasons for it. As always, if any doubt, take your little lady to a competent vet.

Back
Top Bottom