1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken Survey Final results

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by balticbabe, Jul 15, 2008.

1. balticbabe

balticbabe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    King County, WA
    Reading about the problems people have with their local governments regarding chicken keeping has got me wondering if the anti-chicken folks tend to live in a certain part of the country or in certain size towns. Maybe itÂ’s just a random problem.

To find out I created this short survey which is now closed. I would keep it open but that would cost me two bags of feed a month.

100 people took the survey. The results can be found here http://www.freewebs.com/chcikenstats/index.htm

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Very cool idea! [​IMG] I just took it. [​IMG]

3. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    Oh yeah, I did it, too, but forgot to tell you! BTW, on the last question, it's legal in our county, of course, but I'm not exactly legal where I live, so don't tell anyone, okay? [​IMG]

4. dogzrule5

dogzrule5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Sanford, NC
    I just took the survey too [​IMG]

5. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

done, could you have made it any easier?

6. balticbabe

Apr 3, 2008
    King County, WA
    So far most respondents live in a rural area throughout the country and are allowed chickens. I'll break down the data later tonight or tomorrow.

I won't tell on anyone who has outlaw chickens. I myself harbor technically illicit chickens. Here I'm supposed to get a permit. To do that I need signatures from everyone who would be affected. Not sure who all would be affected but I couldn't even get everyone on my block to signup to get free locking maiboxes from the post office. I don't see how I could get my neighbors to all sign my permit application when there's nothing it it for them..

7. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Giving us "west" as an option isn't much! West = Utah and WA!

But, I took it. Leave this up a few days to see how many responses you get. We *should* get 13,000... right?

ETA - "with limitations" could be broken up by number or by sex. There are no limits on numbers where I live but roosters are illegal.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  8. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    cool idea and I just completed it, but it would be nice to have more detail in two places, in order to learn as much as possible.

First, I called my town a "small town" because it isnt a suburb, or a big city, or rural, but I think my "small town" of 30,000 may not be what someone else cals a small town; ike the towns around this place, which tend to be more like 4,000, or 2,000, or 800. So numbers, or ranges of numbers, would be good.

Second, "yes, with limitations<" could also be broken up into limitations under five, limitations under 10, limitations under 25?

Thank you for doing this; wouldnt bother with comments if it werent so awesome in the first place . . .can't wait to hear what you find out.

9. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    I took the survey, and here's where I got stumped:
    1) I'm in a small city, but not a small town (we have the George Bush Presidential Library, how could we be a town? [​IMG] )
    2) I don't know if Texas is South or West, because we're rather Southwest (not Georgia, not California, more Arizona) [​IMG]

Sorry.

If your survey says what I hope it says, I'll use it to convert my little city. It so doesn't want to be a small town with chickens in backyards.

10. balticbabe

Apr 3, 2008
    King County, WA
    Quote:I used the U.S. Department of Labor's map to pick the regions which has Texas in the South. West and North of NM is the West. North of OK is considered Midwest. PA and North is considered NE.

I live in a small city which was incorporated a nearly 100 years ago but I call it a town. Really I don't know the difference. I figure if the city isn't one of the majors in your state then it's a town. Don't know the definition of urban sprawl but I know it when I see it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by