Chicken swallowed whole mouse - unknown if poisoned

Nicky S

Songster
May 30, 2021
Southern CT
One of my girls just found a dead mouse while free ranging and swallowed it whole (I just saw its bottom half disappearing down her throat). I’m hoping it was just from my cat who left it there once bored with it, but I obviously could t get a look at it. We don’t ever have poison, but a few months back we did have a baby mouse and an adult die in front of us in the basement in a weird way, and I wondered if any neighbors might have used poison. Is there anything I should do? I’m worried if I wait and see if it were poisoned it might be too late.

Don't worry about it. A fatal dose for a mouse won't even make a chicken uncomfortable.

We use poison baits in the workshop, which is attached to our run. Been through it. Several times. No injuries.
Thanks for your feedback! I want sure if it would be harmful, that's why I recommended the charcoal or making her vomit.

You can give her a charcoal pill to help absorb the poison. My neighbors have made their hens vomit. It's not pretty, but effective🤢
Thank you - I’m not confident enough to make her vomit I’m afraid. I called the vet and got through on their emergency line, so I’m picking up vitamin k tomorrow! I’m going to get charcoal in for future use!

Don't worry about it. A fatal dose for a mouse won't even make a chicken uncomfortable.

We use poison baits in the workshop, which is attached to our run. Been through it. Several times. No injuries.
Oh that’s very reassuring, thank you! I was feeling awful as I just stood there as she swallowed it…I didn’t think it could go down whole 😂

Hope your hen is doing well. I didn't even know they could swallow a mouse whole 😱 Or even that they would want to! 🤦🏻‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom