CHICKEN SWAPS OF NH SWAP LISTINGS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was recently out to dinner. While we were waiting to be served I started thinking that if someone who had an infected flock also came here to eat in the last couple days I could bring home disease. I was also thinking of how you can pick up flu virus from a shopping cart. You can really drive yourself nuts thinking about how diseases can be transmitted. I have no answers only more questions.

^ Yes indeed.

I typed up a whole big long reply a few days ago in response to what was posted by NHNanna and Blackbirds13, but then my laptop pooped out and I lost it. :/ So, here are my revised thoughts ...

As someone who has experienced disease outbreaks in another species, I can tell you first-hand that it is NOT fun. (Not that anybody thought it would be a walk in the park ..!) It is, as poster BlacksheepCardigans has stated from her sad experience, absolutely heartbreaking. Additionally, it is miserable to go through with an established group of animals that have been your pets for years, to wake up each day wondering which ones of your favorite animals will be sick or dying that day. Because of this, I knew that, if faced with the knowledge that my brand-spanking-new chicken flock was definitely harboring a pathogen, I was going to cull. This decision would have been made partially because I would be unable to sell birds, and partially because I might risk transmitting the disease to other flocks (despite taking all possible precautions). It was made primarily because, if I had the chance to avoid the devastation of a disease outbreak before getting too attached to my new birds, I was going to do it.

I was very, very lucky in that this did not end up being necessary. However, with these new birds, I was prepared to do it if the results had been positive.

Alllllllll of that having been said .......

SerenityNH/Angie's story drives home the reality of how difficult it really is to avoid certain diseases, especially with large groups of animals. Indeed, even while I was gearing up to cull my current flock, I did question whether it was really worth the heartache in light of the fact that hatchery birds are known to occasionally come with MS/MG. All of my replacement birds would have come from a hatchery, so how could I have been sure I didn't cull all for nothing? I couldn't, and I don't. I didn't have to cull, thankfully, but as I have added a few more healthy-looking hatchery birds since then, for all I know, my flock could now be infected. 1Chick Magnet is absolutely right in that you can easily spend all of your time tearing your hair out thinking about all of the potential sources of disease.

At the end of the day, I think the most sensible course of action is to exercise as much caution as you reasonably can, both with regards to acquiring and transmitting disease -- but don't drive yourself insane over it, either. For now, I am quarantining new arrivals to monitor for health before introducing to my established flock, and I will be extremely cautious as to what sources I buy from. (Indeed, I'm afraid I will most likely avoid the swaps from now on -- it was a really fun experience, but IMO, it is just too risky a source of livestock.) However, I am not going to limit myself too harshly at this point in my flock's development, because to do so would be prohibitive to obtaining the genetics and the birds that I want. If, at some time in the future, the flock that I have become deeply attached to tests positive for a disease that is essentially or literally endemic, and, in my flock, sub-clinical, then I'll have another really hard decision to make. It might be the same decision that I was prepared to make before, but then again, it might not be. If, at that theoretical future point, I chose not to cull, I would make every effort to insulate the rest of the work from my infected flock. That would mean not only not selling, obviously, but also wearing designated "contaminated" clothes and shoes to work with my infected flock, and voluntarily quarantining myself entirely from other flocks and flock owners. It would be a pain in the butt, but I might very well feel that it was worth it to avoid having to kill the birds that had become my pets.

These aren't easy questions to grapple with ... It isn't as cut-and-dried as something like FMD or avian influenza, but it's still a devastating disease to many.

NH Dept of Ag just left - we tested every adult bird on the place. Now to wait... I had two rattly breathers even as he was testing, so we should know for sure.

Snakedoc is correct - the worst thing is wondering which birds it'll be today. Which batch of babies will suddenly look droopy, which old-man rooster who has earned a spot here forever will have a swollen eye, which hens will start rattling and sneezing as they sit on a dozen eggs. It's every single day taking a deep breath before you head out to open up coops.

I support the idea of the swaps and I know that the effort put into making them great fun is HUGE. I don't even think I got this from a swapper. But it has made me completely re-think how we live with our chickens and how casual we've always been about letting people see them, pet the babies, buy a few pullets, etc. It's been a nasty wake-up call.

It is a wake up call! I loved showing everybody my birds ! "Come and see my coop! " was my favorite phrase when we had new company . "Check out our new babies that just hatched!"
Now I too will think twice about it. I love bragging about them but the thought of having them get a disease and have to cull them, I could not deal with. From now on I will brag about my feathered babies in pictures. Sorry you had to go through this.

It is a wake up call! I loved showing everybody my birds ! "Come and see my coop! " was my favorite phrase when we had new company . "Check out our new babies that just hatched!"
Now I too will think twice about it. I love bragging about them but the thought of having them get a disease and have to cull them, I could not deal with. From now on I will brag about my feathered babies in pictures. Sorry you had to go through this.
Sorry to everyone who had to go through this. I'll have some extra chicks to sell in a few weeks and folks are going to think I'm crazy making them wait at the end of the driveway to see them. I've been reading lately about "tour de coop" fundraisers going on in other states where people pay a fee to bike or walk from coop to coop in urban areas. I can't imagine participating in an event like that, the potential to spread disease is worse than the swaps.

Sorry to everyone who had to go through this. I'll have some extra chicks to sell in a few weeks and folks are going to think I'm crazy making them wait at the end of the driveway to see them. I've been reading lately about "tour de coop" fundraisers going on in other states where people pay a fee to bike or walk from coop to coop in urban areas. I can't imagine participating in an event like that, the potential to spread disease is worse than the swaps.
I agree coop to coop would be bad. I think chicken shows and state fairs would be bad. how many chicken owners walk through a fair

For those wondering -

All of our birds tested positive for MG, negative for MS. We're culling this weekend. Our 70 birds are legbars, marans, gorgeous giant frizzles, seramas, dutch and old english, Foley wyandottes, blue barred rocks, deliberate crosses, etc. Every single one carefully bred and a flock to be proud of.

I have quarantined myself since the first time I saw a bird sneeze - I am being very public talking about this but I want to assure people that I have had zero birds in or out since the first symptom.

For those wondering -

All of our birds tested positive for MG, negative for MS. We're culling this weekend. Our 70 birds are legbars, marans, gorgeous giant frizzles, seramas, dutch and old english, Foley wyandottes, blue barred rocks, deliberate crosses, etc. Every single one carefully bred and a flock to be proud of.

I have quarantined myself since the first time I saw a bird sneeze - I am being very public talking about this but I want to assure people that I have had zero birds in or out since the first symptom.

I'm so sorry for your losses - so sad!

For those wondering - 

How heartbreaking. I'm so sorry for your loss.

For those wondering -

That is absolutely heartbreaking.
My test results were better but not perfect. I only had one test positive which confirmed for me my date of exposure. The state only required I cull him but I culled everything in the pen as I was just too paranoid. I culled all of the chicks in all of my brooders that may have had contact with anything he sired as I had incubated and hatched eggs from his hens (who all tested negative) set after the date I suspect. I know I culled some perfectly healthy and costly birds in this process but I'd rather be safe than sorry.
I have 12 birds left. My Jubilees and my Cream Legbars and for that I am grateful. I have to retest to end my quarantine but it means I can incubate and hatch chicks from them. This has been an awful experience and I will not be selling anything to anyone for quite a while and I will not be purchasing any local birds or eggs for the foreseeable future as I just don't trust that a lot of folks are and have been doing the right thing, especially with how quiet this all is. I am closing my flock for quite a bit and concentrating on breeding towards the betterment of the birds I have.. I do have some commitment egg and chick shipments on hold until July from breeders that I have purchased from before and trust (those birds tested negative) so after those I'll be enjoying my hobby in a singular way. Again, I wish everyone wellness and good luck with their flocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom