CHICKEN SWAPS OF NH SWAP LISTINGS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should I have my flock tested then? This is very scary!
I would say yes but you need to think about what you would do with the results. I had decided that I would cull if the results were positive but when it turned out to be only one and the state was not calling for me to cull the birds in the 2 pens that were negative I had to alter my state of mind. I still went beyond their recommendation and culled more than just the one positive bird. I culled the birds that also tested negative in the pen...I culled everything in that pen.
It is scary and it's avoidable as much as some folks want to say it's so prevalent. Just don't get in over your head with chickens. Don't multi-age, multi-breed large amounts of chicks in the same brooder and always quarantine incoming birds at least 3-4 weeks. My brooders were too close together in the same space so not separated enough. Some folks are using those GQF towers and just dumping chicks in them as they get them so....

This will be my last post on this thread.

I am prompted to this by a conversation on what is and is not anyone's business when it comes to MG in someone's flock.
If anyone is in the business of selling chickens, large or small scale, I believe it is the public's business what goes on in your flocks. I am disgusted by how much this thread was jumping when folks had birds they wanted to sell or advertise but now they are all silent.

I think that this is big news in an underground way among some folks since there is so little being said publically by any of those truly involved in it's onset. I myself have had interesting conversations with people and been directed to posts by folks who have populated this thread or reside here in NH and honestly believe that this outbreak of MG really started last year late summer early fall and was present in several flocks, not just the 3 suspected farms. I think some folks have had ongoing infections of various varieties for maybe over a year now and it all exploded when these infected flocks hit the swaps as that just disseminated the infection to the general public.
I, myself, am deeply concerned with how little any of the swappers are saying and sharing in regards to this MG outbreak. I really am (to use the same word again) disgusted that folks who are so public when it comes to the money making end of things are so silent now when it comes to sharing with those that may have purchased or done business with them, in any way, any information about what is going on with your individual enterprises now.
I think it's everyone and anyone's business who ever did or who ever will purchase chicks, eggs or adult birds from anyone who participated in the act of selling chickens to the public.
I will never again attend any swaps or go to the stores that are hosing them on those days and I will advise anyone who asks to do the same. I will probably not ever purchase any birds locally from anyone here in NH without some really good research and information on their birds and practices. There are enough folks not in the know to keep this going so those in the biz will have enough customers when they restock and start selling again, and I'd rather stay out of the fray. The idea that this is in anyway normal or can just happen belies the truth that many farms big and small are MG free and maintain that over time.
But some are going right back to the multi-breed, multi-age, multi-brooding practices that encourage this sort of thing. I think everyone should have their birds tested...it may be free till the end of the month I believe.
So a final good luck and happy chicken wishes to y'all

ETA: I have never sold at the swaps but was contemplating it for this year. I have bought chicks there when I first started up 3 years ago but only went to one last year as I was worried about bio-security. I believe my infection was directly from a person who does do the swaps. The state will not call you if you did not purchase at the swaps so private or person to person sales outside of the swaps were not contacted.

Last edited:
I think that this is big news in an underground way among some folks since there is so little being said publically by any of those truly involved in it's onset. I myself have had interesting conversations with people and been directed to posts by folks who have populated this thread or reside here in NH and honestly believe that this outbreak of MG really started last year late summer early fall and was present in several flocks, not just the 3 suspected farms. I think some folks have had ongoing infections of various varieties for maybe over a year now and it all exploded when these infected flocks hit the swaps as that just disseminated the infection to the general public.
I, myself, am deeply concerned with how little any of the swappers are saying and sharing in regards to this MG outbreak. I really am (to use the same word again) disgusted that folks who are so public when it comes to the money making end of things are so silent now when it comes to sharing with those that may have purchased or done business with them, in any way, any information about what is going on with your individual enterprises now.

I think part of the problem is that a lot of folks don't understand the disease itself, or don't understand what 'endemic' means. MG is everywhere. It's a simple fact. An endemic disease does not have an outbreak. It's been there all along. The only thing that has been on the upswing is people testing for it. And if you test for something that is so prevalent, of course you're going to find it. It shouldn't be a surprise, and it shouldn't cause a panic. The truth is, MG has a very low mortality rate. It is not a terrible disease, it does not decimate an entire flock. The biggest problem is simply that once it's there, it doesn't leave. And it is not specific to poultry. Wild birds carry it, so it really does not matter how tight your biosecurity is. Unless you raise your birds in total confinement, you WILL be exposed to it, even if you never attend a swap, never go to the fair, never let anyone on your property, etc. So pointing fingers at various farms and breeders is a wasted effort. They may have been the source, and they may not have been the source. You'll never know. If you ever let your chickens out to scratch in the dirt, dust bathe in the sun, or nibble at some grass, you'll be exposed to MG.

The reason the state imposes the 'quarantine or cull' choice on flocks that test positive is likely because MG has an impact on commercial poultry. Recovered layers will show a drop in production, and factory farmed broilers are prone to secondary infections when they get MG, like E. Coli airsacculitis, which results in condemnation of carcasses at slaughter. MG can have a very big economic impact on large scale poultry farms, but to backyard flocks it just isn't as big a deal. Most commercial poultry live in conditions that are very stressful for the birds and very hard on their bodies.

I think instead of a frenzy of testing and culling entire flocks, what we need most is a re-evaluation of our poultry breeding habits. It's easy to get caught up in the excitement of breeding for new colors, and raising rare breeds because they are popular and likely to fetch higher prices. But if a breeder does not approach these endeavors with vigor at the very top of the list of traits to select for when setting up breeding groups, ultimately the birds you raise will suffer. Culling for vigor is something farmers have been doing for ages. A lot of old poultry folks will tell you the only 'medication' they keep around is a hatchet. If you breed for vigor, and you keep your birds in conditions that are clean and not over-crowded, over time you'll have a very healthy flock!

LOL

This all assumes that people have principles and aren't out for money, that they are just there for the birds ..... They are out for money and the birds are means to get that money. Knowledgeable sales of birds that are sick is wrong. W R O N G. Those people who sell birds knowing they are sick are perpetuating a problem and taking advantage of someone to make money, passing off the issue to another person. Its predatory. The people doing this are predatory. It isn't about the birds. Don't be naive. Herpes is everywhere so why bother with safe sex?? You can live through it.

You've completely missed the point of everything I said, but hey, that's okay. It's always better to spew vitriol than offer sensible discourse.
roll.png

You've completely missed the point of everything I said, but hey, that's okay. It's always better to spew vitriol than offer sensible discourse.
roll.png
I was initially not going to respond to your post which took parts of what I said out of context but feel I need to remediate your statements given your recent post.

I do not find the statements by Ashandvine vitriolic. They sound like frustration. Frustration borne from a lack of information. In times of public crisis dissemination of information helps to reassure. I found your response to my post a bit condescending but chose to ignore it as I thought you were entitled to your point of view on the matter as much as I think Ash is entitled to hers. I think we can disagree without resorting to denouncing the opinions of others or intimating that they are do not have a comparable knowledge base or valid enough statement. I don't care where it started and was not pointing fingers as you stated (research is not a foolish thing it is usually quite enlightening) but do care to end it at my front door no matter how ineffective some may find that thought. I understand your points of view, some I just disagree with.

MG in my mind is a terrible disease.

My birds appeared healthy, I may have never known I had been affected by this if I had not tested my birds and would have gone ahead putting birds into the marketplace and the flocks of others or instead of just one positive I might have ended up with an entire flock or done just that to someone else. I am so glad I cancelled all my sales and that I had not done any that risked the time frame of infection and exposure to someone else. My heart breaks for my lost birds but I do feel a sense of comfort in what I have done. But the joy of this hobby has been depressed by the knowledge of how pervasive this or other diseases can be. I am no fan of ignorance but reality can be harsh.
It does not mean that those that wish to accept what they view as inevitable cannot continue in that vein and breed their flocks as they deem best for them as I choose a different path.
As a former US Marine I hold true to the refrain:
Adapt, Overcome and Improvise.

Well this is certainly scarier than I thought it was...

After reading the information, I feel like I need to test my own backyard flock. I've scouted local swaps and bought some eggs and even a couple chickens over the past couple of years. as well as from CL sources. I also think I've and an irregular amount of sick birds over these past couple of years since straying from the regular old hatchery birds and guess I need to do this testing to either confirm suspicion or ease my mind. I don't sell or swap any of my birds so a mandated closed flock wouldn't be the end of the world for me. They're basically just bug killing, breakfast-providing pets. But I had started to make plans of going bigger with Turkeys and focusing on dual purpose breed for my own personal consumption (and for my dogs, as they're raw fed).

For those in NH who have been tested, do you just contact the Dept of Ag like you do for NPIP?
Is the process the same as NPIP? (my birds free range so it requires some planning on my part to get them tested)
can these diseases affect ducks and/or can ducks be carriers as well?

My deepest sympathies to those affected
hit.gif

Hello Everyone,

I have read every post on this thread since I shut down swaps. You all have val ad points. My heart goes out to everyone who has been touched by this nightmare. I have spent many hours on the phone with distraught people and with the department of agriculture. As many of you know I have no tolerance for people who knowingly sell sick animals. After reading the descriptions of these diseases on this thread, I feel that the large farm must have known they were infected and chose to sell anyway.

Chicken Swaps of NH has a very large data base of poultry owners and sellers. The department of agriculture used our list to try to locate the source of distribution. According to the newspaper article I read it sounds like they have had success.

At swaps I have sent many people home because their animals did not look right. The problem I have with MG and MS is that it is possible for infected poultry to have no visible signs.

I have no idea where to go from here as far as swaps are concerned. If anyone has any constructive input I will listen. I have talked to so many heartbroken people. I don't ever wish to hear stories of poultry caregivers favorites dropping dead because they added one or two new ones and did not quarantine. Bio security is no joke.

There is no such thing as a disease free source from which to purchase. Disease can come from your best friend-a top breeder-a large farm-a small farm-a hatchery-hatching eggs-a chicken swap-a country fair-a feed store-a poultry fanciers show-craigs list-etc.

My best advise is to quarantine everything you buy for four to six weeks. MS and MG are not limited to any particular state. Customers,sellers,and shipping agencies cross state lines on a regular basis. How many of you out there have participated in egg swaps? Those eggs could be little mail bombs.

To all those who have lost treasured pets, you have our heart felt sympathy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom