CHICKEN SWING

Is anyone having any luck with chicken swings? Do your chickens use them and enjoy them? I hung this swing up yesterday. I realize that chickens need to get used to everything, being the "chickens" that they are! I have been putting them up on it and feeding them dried crickets. They aren't afraid to sit there and eat treats, but I am not sure they will ever get on it as it really swings a lot and my birds are heavy breeds. Just wondering if this thing ultimately is hogging up run space, I don't care if it takes them a month to learn to use it, will they eventually learn to enjoy swinging or perching on this thing?? Thanks!

It needs to be 24" all the way around it so when they mount it OR dismount it they don't hit anything around it or it hit anything around it.

Quote: Thanks for the info! But they just don't want to get on anything that moves. Even when it blows in the wind they are nervous of it! I will try moving it to a new spot, but I have a feeling they will still not use it.

Thanks!

I have seen a bunch of chicken swing pictures lately so I decided to make one out of scrap PVC and an old jump rope. Let's see if the girls figure out how to use it.

Here's my baby on her chicken swing! This one gets on the swing several times a day. I've only seen one of the others on it. Mine is made from a chunk of tree branch and some rope we had in the garage, and took about 4 minutes to install. As they get heavier, I'll probably have to fortify it. It was worth the tiny bit of effort to give Coconut (who I've worried about a little since she arrived...) some joy.

0.jpg

My mixed breed flock adults do not care. ..They do perch in the pen, but no swing use in a month. Maybe the new ones coming up will try. I am glad I used the stick and cheap rope method, so no money or labor was involved.

we made this with some scrap wood and rope. We just put it up. How long before they will start using it? I'm so excited I cant wait to watch them play on it :)

There are several bushes in my chicken yard with sort of horizontal branches. They LOVE to jump on them and sit and some even bounce. I have no doubt a chicken swing is a great idea for runs and yards that don't have any such toys.

Must take some pics of my girls bouncing around in the plants.

Back
Top Bottom