Chicken that does no lay an egg.

Nana Linda

Hatching
7 Years
Jul 19, 2012
I have two chickens that are free to roam my yard all day every day. One of them is regularly laying eggs at least every other day. The other one has not layed an egg yet. Can't blame environment on it because the other chicken is producing. They live in the same place and eat the same food. Both chickens will be a year old in April.

I would first start by searching your yard for a hidden clutch of eggs. Just because one of the hens lays her eggs in the designated egg spot does not mean the other one will. That being said, even though they live in the same place and eat the same food, the environment most certainly can be whats bothering one and not the other. Some people get stressed about loud music and others do not, some chickens like this food or that while others do not. Another thing to consider, and I'm just offering up suggestions since you didn't mention age or breed, is that the non laying hen may not be as old as the one that is laying and just isn't ready -and- even if they are the same age, if they are different breeds some breeds mature slower than others which means they start laying later. If none of those factors seem to apply to you and you're certain she should be laying but isn't- start by having an Easter Egg hunt. If that doesn't turn up anything compare the two hens vents. The vent of your laying hen will be much wider and looser then a hen who isn't laying. If the vent of the culprit is tight like an egg has never passed through it, it's probably because it hasn't. Good luck!

Thanks! She's laying now but her eggs are very small. My other hen is laying big healthy eggs. I think she's a bit neurotic if you're looking for my opinion.Now I have a pic to post that I think may be the smallest egg that has ever been produced by an 18 month old Buff Orpington!

Thanks! She's laying now but her eggs are very small. My other hen is laying big healthy eggs. I think she's a bit neurotic if you're looking for my opinion.Now I have a pic to post that I think may be the smallest egg that has ever been produced by an 18 month old Buff Orpington!
I just saw this post, and although it is well over a year late, I find it interesting that you have a buff orpington who took forever to lay. I have a 10 month old orpington named Bufferball who has yet to lay an egg. Her two sisters are laying great, but Buffer is cleary differed...special if you will. She has always been well behind her sisters in maturity, and her comb and giblets have just sort of reached a mature size (the comb is still rather small). I have seen her fiddle in the nest box, but to no avail yet. Aside from her extremely slow maturity, she has some very unusual habits. She is very hesitant to come out of the coop when I open it for the free range, but when she decided to leave, she absolutely BLASTS out and usually flies 50 feet away from the thing. She also rarely dust bathes with the other 4 birds when they are bathing in the yard. She has never been picked on by the other girls, but is probably at the bottom of the pecking order if I had to say. Also, she jostles every now and then and fluffs up her neck feathers, so she tries to climb the ladder I guess. She is just a strange chicken, and although she has yet to produce, I remain optimistic.

Back
Top Bottom