Chicken that had Fly Strike (now recovering), except she is getting weaker. Help please?

averkademay

Songster
9 Years
Dec 14, 2013
Hello All!

My two year old Red Rhode Island was struck by fly strike. The maggots caused only a small bit of damage on her tail. I cleaned out the infection and now it turned into a black hardened scab that is about a quarter and a half in size. I am spraying Verteracine around the wound. I am worried that there are maggot eggs behind the scab. Is that a possiblity or are the maggots eggs all dead? She is seperated from the rest of the flock and in a comfortable dark and warm area. After the operation she seemed to be doing well. I was wondering earlier if she had worms before her fly strike. She had dirrarea which led to the flys having a perfect place to nest. Right now her droppings are small amounts of yellow liquid. I want to deworm her, although I heard that it is hard on weakened chickens. She is weak right now so I am worried. She refuses to eat certain things and only small amounts. I have givin her eletroyts in her water to help her. Her comb is starting to slowly flop over. She closes her eye constantly as if she is in pain or she is just sleepy all the time. Is she just taking awhile to recover from fly strike? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get her to eat? Any suggestions on should I deworm her or maybe there is something else wrong with her?

So sorry for your hen. It's likely that she has a major health issue, and the maggots arrived because she was already ill. I hope she does better, but that's been my experience. Mary

Thank you! I hope it nothing to serious...She seems to be getting more energetic lately. Thank you for your comment. :-D

I have had 2 hens with fly strike and both I suspected were internal layers. One had to be put down because it was too bad to heal. The other healed, but lost a lot of weight and passed away later.

I do believe that they have internal issues that cause the change in their poop, which attracts the flies.

Thank you for your comment Happy Chooks! I hope it is not internal egg laying... It seems to be a big possiblity due to the sticky, stringy, and yellow poo. She smells bad mostly around the vent. Could these be signs of internal laying? The yellow and sticky discharge from the possibly broken egg in her? Is there anything I can do to save her? Will she survive? I would be so sad to put her down.

Hello All!

My two year old Red Rhode Island was struck by fly strike. The maggots caused only a small bit of damage on her tail. I cleaned out the infection and now it turned into a black hardened scab that is about a quarter and a half in size. I am spraying Verteracine around the wound. I am worried that there are maggot eggs behind the scab. Is that a possiblity or are the maggots eggs all dead?  She is seperated from the rest of the flock and in a comfortable dark and warm area. After the operation she seemed to be doing well. I was wondering earlier if she had worms before her fly strike. She had dirrarea which led to the flys having a perfect place to nest. Right now her droppings are small amounts of yellow liquid. I want to deworm her, although I heard that it is hard on weakened chickens. She is weak right now so I am worried. She refuses to eat certain things and only small amounts. I have givin her eletroyts in her water to help her. Her comb is starting to slowly flop over.  She closes her eye constantly as if she is in pain or she  is just sleepy all the time. Is she just taking awhile to recover from fly strike? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get her to eat? Any suggestions on should I deworm her or maybe there is something else wrong with her?
When my hen was sick and refused to eat I bought whole wheat baby cereal and mixed it with yogurt. I smeared it on her beak and she would sort of smack her beak and get some of it in her. I also bought children's pedialyte and dipped her beak in it to get her to drink. I did it several times a day. She lived and is doing great. Hope this helps.

Hey Chick Mick thank you so much for your comment! I will have to try that on Quetzelbella. Thank you again!

Although sadly...I just researched more on my chicken's problem and I think I found a match. She has yellow poo, dark yellow strings in her poo, her vent smells bad and she is severly under weight. This might be a case of Blackhead or E.Coli. Does anyone know the best medicine? I took her off the electrolytes because she refused to drink the water. After I took out the electroytes she gladly drank water. I let her roam the lawn today and she went nuts over the small grasshoppers.She was running for the hoppers all over the place. Her fly strike wound is healing nicely.

Thank you everyone for your useful info so far!

Unpdate on Quetzelbella! I had wait a litter longer to see other effects of Blackhead. I noticed recently she has an in flated crop that is squishy. I think she has a sour crop. I have just started feeding her yogart. I feed her through a straw. I do not have a syringe or a tube. Instead, I suck up the yogart and open her beak and let the content out. She swallows nicely and has eaten alot. I tryed having her eat it on her own but she does not want it. I head that using Monosite 3 is a successful treatment. Does anyone suggest it? She is very weak and I cannot vomit her (Also because it is dangerous). She now has foamy poo (signs of worms). Can I treat her for worms and treat her for sour crop? Please help! She is very very weak!

Unpdate on Quetzelbella! I had wait a litter longer to see other effects of Blackhead. I noticed recently she has an in flated crop that is squishy. I think she has a sour crop. I have just started feeding her yogart. I feed her through a straw. I do not have a syringe or a tube. Instead, I suck up the yogart and open her beak and let the content out. She swallows nicely and has eaten alot. I tryed having her eat it on her own but she does not want it. I head that using Monosite 3 is a successful treatment. Does anyone suggest it? She is very weak and I cannot vomit her (Also because it is dangerous). She now has foamy poo (signs of worms). Can I treat her for worms and treat her for sour crop? Please help! She is very very weak!

I wouldn't. If she is that weak, worming her may be too hard on her. Foamy poo doesn't always mean worms. I'd just worry about the sour crop for the moment.

Thank you Happy Chooks. She is very weak and her yellow foamy/watery poo has yellow string like worms. I hope its not worms. I gave her yogart yesterday and today the crop looks a little less swollen. She is starting to give up today. She closes her eye constantly. Because of the (possiblity) of worms, her sour crop, and her refusal of eating, she is so starved. I try my best to keep her eating through the straw method. I think I am just going to have to put her down. :-( Thank you for your comment.

Back
Top Bottom