Chicken that lays soft eggs

Emmas7Chickens

In the Brooder
Apr 30, 2021
So my one hen lays soft eggs every now and then. She's been doing this pretty much since she started laying. She's a one year old isa brown and has laid about 4-5 soft eggs(that I know of) when my hen lays these eggs all the outher hens instantly run over and break it open that why I said that I know of lol. Most the time I won't get all 7 eggs for a few days and that's when I know shes probably gonna lay a soft egg. Usually what happens is ill go into there run and shell be off alone on a corner hunched up. When I let then out to run the yard She will slowly make her way out instead of full speed running with the rest of her sisters. She'll find a place in the yard by herself and just stand there hunched up and ill wait by her so I can try to hurry and grab the egg up before the outher girls run to it. After she lays it she'll just kinda walk about and she'll stay hunched up but after about 5-10 minutes she's back to her usual self and enjoying her yard time. Iv done alot of research on what causes it, how to help the chicken and, what to give her so she stops laying soft eggs and, iv tried about everything I am able to do. Unfortunately nothing has seemed to help. I do truly think she has something wrong with her. My reasons being she doesn't consistently lay eggs when she does there soft, misshapen, small,extremely large, discolored,(she does lay normal ones to) she always has large piles of poop all stuck in her butt feathers that I have to clean pretty much daily. And she attacks the outher girls over everything. She pulls feathers, she jumps on there backs, she cases them around if they get to close. She definitely a pice of work and I do alot to keep her and the outer girls happy and healthy. But I was just hoping that mabye someone out there would have some advice or even a solution to my problems with her! I love all my girls dearly and I hate do see her in so much discomfort when she lays these soft eggs. Any other time she acts just like a normal chicken with no signs of discomfort or pain. But I would love to solve the problem of the soft eggs! So if anyone has any advice or suggestions on stuff I can try places share!!

I have attached a picture of the chicken and pictures of one of the soft eggs she has laid

Attachments

• 20201002_110412.jpg
    20201002_110412.jpg
    963.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 20201009_134139.jpg
    20201009_134139.jpg
    751.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 20201009_134206.jpg
    20201009_134206.jpg
    685.4 KB · Views: 3
Maybe separate her for a while to make sure she’s getting enough nutrients (calcium especially). If she doesn’t improve it may be something wrong with her physically or genetically

Maybe separate her for a while to make sure she’s getting enough nutrients (calcium especially). If she doesn’t improve it may be something wrong with her physically or genetically
Thank you! Yes I have tried this and unfortunately nothing changed🙁 thank you for the suggestion though! Ans yes it does make me believe she has something physically or geneticly wrong unfortunately

she always has large piles of poop all stuck in her butt feathers that I have to clean pretty much daily.
Might need to trim her feathers back there.
Clip and feather with poop stuck to it about a 1/2" from skin.
Are her poops solid or liquid?
Diet could be a factor for both issues.

I hate do see her in so much discomfort when she lays these soft eggs.
I don't think they are in pain when a softy is coming down the pike,
It just feels weird and hard to get out because there is no hard surface for the contractions to push against.

Might need to trim her feathers back there.
Clip and feather with poop stuck to it about a 1/2" from skin.
Are her poops solid or liquid?
Diet could be a factor for both issues.

I don't think they are in pain when a softy is coming down the pike,
It just feels weird and hard to get out because there is no hard surface for the contractions to push against.
Yes! I have trimmed her feathers! But they do probably need to be shorter so I'll do that for her. But her poop is solid, she has occasional poop that is runny but it doesn't happen often. But that what I'm thinking, she doesn't act like she's in pain she just acts kinda like she's confused why the egg isn't coming out😂

So my one hen lays soft eggs every now and then. She's been doing this pretty much since she started laying. She's a one year old isa brown and has laid about 4-5 soft eggs(that I know of) when my hen lays these eggs all the outher hens instantly run over and break it open that why I said that I know of lol. Most the time I won't get all 7 eggs for a few days and that's when I know shes probably gonna lay a soft egg. Usually what happens is ill go into there run and shell be off alone on a corner hunched up. When I let then out to run the yard She will slowly make her way out instead of full speed running with the rest of her sisters. She'll find a place in the yard by herself and just stand there hunched up and ill wait by her so I can try to hurry and grab the egg up before the outher girls run to it. After she lays it she'll just kinda walk about and she'll stay hunched up but after about 5-10 minutes she's back to her usual self and enjoying her yard time. Iv done alot of research on what causes it, how to help the chicken and, what to give her so she stops laying soft eggs and, iv tried about everything I am able to do. Unfortunately nothing has seemed to help. I do truly think she has something wrong with her. My reasons being she doesn't consistently lay eggs when she does there soft, misshapen, small,extremely large, discolored,(she does lay normal ones to) she always has large piles of poop all stuck in her butt feathers that I have to clean pretty much daily. And she attacks the outher girls over everything. She pulls feathers, she jumps on there backs, she cases them around if they get to close. She definitely a pice of work and I do alot to keep her and the outer girls happy and healthy. But I was just hoping that mabye someone out there would have some advice or even a solution to my problems with her! I love all my girls dearly and I hate do see her in so much discomfort when she lays these soft eggs. Any other time she acts just like a normal chicken with no signs of discomfort or pain. But I would love to solve the problem of the soft eggs! So if anyone has any advice or suggestions on stuff I can try places share!!

I have attached a picture of the chicken and pictures of one of the soft eggs she has laid
Check what you are feeding

Back
Top Bottom