chicken that's not eat but drinks lots

Maplehillchickens

In the Brooder
Jun 26, 2022
Hey!
My Chicken, Pirate, is about 4-5 yrs. Just all of a sudden became lethargic and weak and not moving much. At first I thought it was her age seeming that she is pretty old. I let a couple days pass. But then started to not eat but drinking became excessive. She is in the coop with plenty of water and food. but she still hasn't eaten. And about 4 days later same symptoms. Her poop is like watery milk and has a strange smell. The crop is flat think it might not be sour crop.
Any ideas on what I can do to help her. :)

Hello and welcome to BYC! :welcome
Check her crop early in the morning before she eats or drinks anything and see if her crop is empty or full.
Is her abdomen bloated?

hello!
OK so i checked this morning and her crop is completely empty an flat. And still hasn't eaten. It has been almost a week with no food I am starting to get worried about her going that long without food. She is drinking water but not as much as before. I am very stumped

hello!
OK so i checked this morning and her crop is completely empty an flat. And still hasn't eaten. It has been almost a week with no food I am starting to get worried about her going that long without food. She is drinking water but not as much as before. I am very stumped
Have you checked her abdomen to see if she's bloated?

Hello!
today I gave her some chicken feed with warm water and made kinda a mash. She ate it so quickly! I did not let her eat a lot though. Her crop began to fill up. And she drank a little too! But she is still very weak. I also sprayed some chicken mite an lice spray on her back.
Her poop is green but very smelly.
So she is bloated. Does this mean egg bound?

I am very very stumped.

Last edited:
Hello!
today I gave her some chicken feed with warm water and made kinda a mash. She ate it so quickly! I did not let her eat a lot though. Her crop began to fill up. And she drank a little too! But she is still very weak. I also sprayed some chicken mite an lice spray on her back.
Her poop is green but very smelly.

I am very very stumped.
I would start putting Nutri-Drench or Sav-A-Chick in her water. Only give her chicken feed, don't give her any treats.

Back
Top Bottom