How do I get a chicken with EYP to eat?

Pittbull Chicken

Chirping
Sep 16, 2023
Hey all. I posted a thread on Sunday about my chicken Julia. I ended up taking her to a vet and we're 99% sure she has EYP. She is on day two of antibiotics and anti-inflammatory. We drained almost a cup of fluids out of her. The fluids were on the thicker side. She is of course drinking a lot of water, but hasn't eaten in 4 days.

Hopefully we caught it in time and the antibiotics help her pull through.

But in the meantime, HOW DO I GET HER TO EAT??? She is still lethargic and stays in one place all day, next to the water feeder. Any suggestions on what or how I can feed her?

Attachments

• 20240327_180716.jpg
    20240327_180716.jpg
    680.7 KB · Views: 22
How is Julia doing?

She's drinking a lot of water, so her crop may be full and not emptying. Often this happens when they have inflammation in the body or are suffering from a reproductive problem.

Is she pooping?

I'd offer her some wet mushy feed. You can try enticing her with some bits of scrambled egg, fish (sardines/mackerel/tuna).
If the crop is not emptying, then she may not eat very much. Hopefully the medication will make her more comfortable and she will come around.

How is Julia doing?

She's drinking a lot of water, so her crop may be full and not emptying. Often this happens when they have inflammation in the body or are suffering from a reproductive problem.

Is she pooping?

I'd offer her some wet mushy feed. You can try enticing her with some bits of scrambled egg, fish (sardines/mackerel/tuna).
If the crop is not emptying, then she may not eat very much. Hopefully the medication will make her more comfortable and she will come around.
Thank you for the suggestions!

I took your wet food idea a step further and made it liquid enough for a syringe, but I had a hard time getting her to swallow until I found something she would nibble on her own. She ended up being interested in a mashed tomato of all things. For the last two days I have been able to mix some crumble feed in hot water, seive out the thick parts, and use a syringe to put the liquid in her mouth. She's been too weak to fight it and swallows on her own (no tube in the throat). Today is day 7 and she finally started eating lettuce and corn on her own. I'm still giving her antibiotics in a raspberry and she gobbles it up. I just put her back with the flock and they're dust bathing. She is acting more normal and the rest of the flock certainly has missed her (she is a leader and made sure to announce her return).

Back
Top Bottom