Chicken thigh infection?

Minidinochickens

Songster
Premium Feather Member
Aug 14, 2020
Northern California
when i woke up Nessie seemed tired and while the other chickens ran around, she stayed in the run hunched over. I moved her to a dog crate with electrolyte water and food but she doesn’t seem to be getting better. I found a weird thing under the fluffy feathers beneath her wing and am wondering if it is the cause. She seemed fine yesterday, and normally lays eggs everyday but didn’t today. Any help would be appreciated !

Attachments

• C0C496DD-B509-4EDC-BADB-9DCE303172C2.jpeg
    C0C496DD-B509-4EDC-BADB-9DCE303172C2.jpeg
    313.5 KB · Views: 4
It's hard to make out exactly what/where the injury is, but injuries on the side anterior to the thigh are most frequently caused by a rooster's toenails or spurs while mating. More common with large , clumsy roosters and smaller hens.

It's hard to make out exactly what/where the injury is, but injuries on the side anterior to the thigh are most frequently caused by a rooster's toenails or spurs while mating. More common with large , clumsy roosters and smaller hens.
Thank you, we don’t have roosters so I’m not sure where it came from but how would cleaning under a wing work?

Pull the wing gently away from her body, having another set of hands would help. Flush the wound out with sterile saline, diluted chlorhexidine (hibiclens), diluted betadine, or warm, mild soapy water. If there is a lot of dried gunk, then warm, wet compresses may help. Get her as dry as possible once you are done, so she doesn't get chilled. If she will tolerate it you can use a blow drier on low. Apply plain neosporin, or plain triple antibiotic ointment to the wound to cover it, reapply a couple of times a day to keep it covered and moist, as needed. While you are flushing it, if you can get a better picture or pictures, that might be helpful.

Back
Top Bottom