Chicken Tips - Take a Tip, Leave a Tip

What a great thread! I bought a metal hog pan and keep it in the run filled with oyster shell. I add crushed egg shells to it. Seems like they prefer the egg shells but the oyster shell's disappearing too. Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

We use hanging 5 gallon buckets with chicken nipples to water in our coops - lots of water always available. In the winter, we add a bird bath or bucket de-icer that automatically comes on at 40 degrees to prevent the water from freezing. I watch for the sales on the de-icers in the spring. Got some for $14 instead of the $35 -40 last year from Foster & Smith.

caf.gif
ya.gif
I know that its winter coming but something to think about this summer.In my coop which is 8x8x8 I have a small fan attached to the wall near the ceiling.I clean it as needed and I let it run 24/7 during the summer.I have it blowin towards the middle of the floor just to keep the air moving.I have vents at the ceiling and near the floor.I have found that this does good keeping the coop decent in temp.Also by painting or whatever you put outside on the wall keep it white or a light color.Theses are things we don't think about at times.
lau.gif
old.gif

I'm working on a project for next summer, i have a bug zapper i got from a garage sale i'm planning on removing the bottom so the bugs fall out when they get zapped and hanging it in my chicken run this summer.

I'm working on a project for next summer, i have a bug zapper i got from a garage sale i'm planning on removing the bottom so the bugs fall out when they get zapped and hanging it in my chicken run this summer.

What a great idea. When the hens hear that ZAP, I bet they come running!
gig.gif

Quote:
I wish I had done this. Now it will have to be added on.
frow.gif

X2
I was able to divide my coop and run with a temporary, crazy- looking system of screens and chicken wire, but need to build a permanent division with doors (I was actually crawling through the pop- door for a while this summer!). I've used mine for a broody, an injured chick, and new pullets growing out in close proximity to the existing flock.

I would also add that it is handy to have a separate pen that is not visible to the hens for growing out roosters.

When I introduce new chickens to the flock, I put alot of obstacles in the pen and coop so the newbies can run behind them for protection.

If you don't have chicken saddles, use duct tape. Just leave it on till it falls off by itself.

Sit with your chickens every day, you can spot problems that way. I usually have a coffee break out there.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom