Chicken Tips - Take a Tip, Leave a Tip

Quote:
not to mention the fact that when a bird is free ranging out in the open of an area populated with aerial predators like hawks a white bird is much easier to see and thus at greater risk of being picked out and eaten then say a bird that is mottled which is harder for the hawks to pick out

Quote:
Golden comet with her hen saver on.
44824_golden_comet_with_apron.jpg

Last edited:
I'm sorry mine dismisses the last tip as being a good one. Feeding wild birds in your yard invites the diseases they carry with them into your chickens.

I agree with the above, I have a friend that let a dove sit on eggs near his chickens and she brought with her so many mites (I think thats what he said she had), infested his prize rooster and inspite of all his doctoring and care, the roo died! I no longer feed the wild birds any where near my chickens.

Let the poor things free range if you have half an acre or more! this goes for duks and geese too...and keep turkeys away from chickens....Turkey attacks chicken and then turkey(possibly) catches blackhead disease from the chicken

Pallets up on concrete blocks (turned so that the space under the pallet is the smallest possible) make excellent shelters for hens to hide under- in the run. Not hawkproof but it helps I have found.

If mine didn't have shelter daily they would be eaten up in 24 hours I believe. The pallets are free and the blocks are inexpensive. You can also use firewood splits under them, but it might attract carpenter ants.

They like to sit atop the pallets sometimes and preen, too.

Quote:
Awwww this just made my heart melt! I wish I had some chickens that do this! Mine only come close when I can give them treats and get down to their level.. This makes me wanna have some baby chicks
love.gif
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom