1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken Tornado

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lleighmay, Nov 11, 2008.

1. lleighmay

lleighmay Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Thought it was absurd enough to mention......
    This afternoon I went out to see the kids and add another bale of shavings to their coop (mind you- this is not a new or unusual activity) when they all decided to act as if they'd never seen me (or the shavings) before and went into a blue panic as I opened the bale and fluffed up their bedding. Previously seemingly sensible chickens flew around my head (one even lighted on my scalp to get a better trajectory for her launch at the wall) and went absolutely ballistic for reasons apparent to nobody...... They continued to orbit and squawk until I left, then 15 min later I went back and they were prancing happily in the new shavings...... I love my girls but sometimes I'm not sure they're wrapped too tight :)

2. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

I had that happen ever once and a while I will bring an unknown object and everyone will go crazy. It funny one moment it can be complete frenzy and the next they can be as calm as can be.... on a side note some breeds still go crazy when the see me. So this is a normal occurrence for me.

3. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    Tossing of shavings is almost always a stimulus for chicken panic in our coops [​IMG]

4. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Oh yes, I have fond memories of shaking out a bale of straw in the coop. The chickens, led by the flock rooster, proceeded to tunnel beneath it in search of grains on the straw pieces. For awhile, all I saw was the straw moving, accompanied by muffled happy cluckings. Eventually, my rooster's head came up like a periscope from under a pile of straw in the middle of the coop. It was absolutely hilarious.

5. beerguzzler

beerguzzler Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2008
    Houston TX
    Same story here. I just put a bale of hay in and you would have thought I was holding a butcher knife in one hand and a fryer in another. They went ape crazy.

6. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    Quote:TOOOOO CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

7. cherig22

cherig22 Green Fields Farm

Sep 2, 2008
    SW Missouri
    Quote:[​IMG]

That right there is funny......

Cheri

8. sunnydee

sunnydee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    Maine
    I had the same thing happen when I first put my girls out in their coop this summer. I have learned to clean and add more shavings to their coop when they are outside free ranging. Then when I make them go back in..they are happy to see new shavings and get busy making everything just right.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by