Chicken tractor critiques

Wolfefarmyard

Crowing
6 Years
Aug 18, 2017
Gansevoort, NY
Hi!
I just bought a used chicken tractor, it obviously needs a bit of work, but I’m wondering what you guys think?
F5C15198-6707-4DAB-B027-635A25DA6B44.jpeg

B2DCA51B-9E0F-4AF8-A049-9F0211E181BE.jpeg

CCD13EA5-FF5E-463D-99D3-08412F0C5B84.jpeg

D073297A-91A2-48FF-A2BC-B2916C035492.jpeg

E7B1DAD8-D2C2-4574-8028-826AD1D8FC6D.jpeg

I’ve always hated wire bottoms, because it can’t be very comfortable and I worry about bumble foot, what’s your experience? Also, I’ve never seen it in nesting boxes before?!

Also, the sides open up and have hardware cloth, I figure this is good ventilation during the summer. But during the winter it would be much too drafty I would think. Should I put tarps on the side once the colder months come?

Thanks!

I have wire on the floor of my nest box 3, I put straw in over top and there is a pipe heater wired underneath to try to avoid frozen eggs. There is also deep bedding under the floor of the nest boxes.

IMG_3815.JPG

I assume one would put bedding of some description on at least a portion of the floor (nests at least); without that there would be no shelter from drafts/winds blowing through the entire coop enclosure.

As far as using tarps: your birds need a sheltered space with good ventilation; NO DRAFTS WHERE THEY ROOST.

The tractor looks brilliant to me, logical and built to last a very long time (repairs will be necessary!). I can imagine scenarios with or without tarps that may work but ones needs to observe how the coop functions in changing conditions. Can you ask the previous user/owner?

In order to encourage your ladies to use it in the winter I would be sheltering at least a portion of the run space (underneath and one side?).

Last edited:
Put straw on that wire and call it good (with cleaning). After the elections I collect all the plastic signs and use those in the bottom of my egg boxes. If your lucky you might find a big one to put in the floor on top of the wire. They hose off really well.

Only thing I would add is hardware cloth predator apron on the bottom.

Looks good and sturdy

I'm not super duper experienced in critiquing chicken tractors, but that's a cool looking tractor. I'd definitely use it for myself!

I don't like wire floors either, but in hot climates they serve a good purpose. If you're not concerned about heat or overly concerned about predators or the wire hurting their feet, you can just cover it with plywood, or even cardboard, or bedding material.

It looks your latch may need replaced for something more secure. I've learned the hard way that a little redundancy never hurts.... and with that said I agree with @neo71665 regarding the predator apron or skirt on the bottom. You really can never be too safe!

A suggestion: Cut a rubber mat (I used a welcome mat) to fit over the coop's wire floor, then cover with construction sand. (Coarse sand used to set pavers. Found at Lowes, etc.) I use a cat litter scoop to clean out poop. Makes the job quick, sand stays dry, and only need to refill occasionally.

It's a cool tractor! I love the sign.

I'm not super duper experienced in critiquing chicken tractors, but that's a cool looking tractor. I'd definitely use it for myself!

I don't like wire floors either, but in hot climates they serve a good purpose. If you're not concerned about heat or overly concerned about predators or the wire hurting their feet, you can just cover it with plywood, or even cardboard, or bedding material.

It looks your latch may need replaced for something more secure. I've learned the hard way that a little redundancy never hurts.... and with that said I agree with @neo71665 regarding the predator apron or skirt on the bottom. You really can never be too safe!

Yeah we get pretty hot summers, but also horribly cold a snowy winters. I think covering it with something more solid is definitely a good plan.

I have wire on the floor of my nest box 3, I put straw in over top and there is a pipe heater wired underneath to try to avoid frozen eggs. There is also deep bedding under the floor of the nest boxes.

View attachment 2266010

I assume one would put bedding of some description on at least a portion of the floor (nests at least); without that there would be no shelter from drafts/winds blowing through the entire coop enclosure.

As far as using tarps: your birds need a sheltered space with good ventilation; NO DRAFTS WHERE THEY ROOST.

The tractor looks brilliant to me, logical and built to last a very long time (repairs will be necessary!). I can imagine scenarios with or without tarps that may work but ones needs to observe how the coop functions in changing conditions. Can you ask the previous user/owner?

In order to encourage your ladies to use it in the winter I would be sheltering at least a portion of the run space (underneath and one side?).

Yes, I know the previous owner mentioned that he found the less he did the better the birds seemed to do. But I’m very neurotic, but main coop is fully insulated, so this is very different.

I can’t imagine leaving the sides the way they are in the winter, so I’ll definitely look into something to help insulate and block any drafts!

Does it actually 'tractor'(move easily)?
Might be OK for a grow out coop...
...but not a fan of Aframes(when weatherproofing the ventilation goes).
Pretty small too, is the roost inside 12" away from wall?

the whole thing, especially the end of run, is charming,
but not well designed or proportioned for keeping birds, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom