chicken tractor size

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Leah S, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Leah S

Leah S Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    wondering if the outdoor space requirements for a tractor is 10 square feet per bird. we have 7 girls and the thing is already getting big with the indoor living area at it's min. are tractors only really good if you have less birds? and to those of you who have tractors, how often do you move it?
    Leah S

2. Leah S

Leah S Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    Just to add
    the footprint is 8 X 3.5 feet, with the living space (being right above) having the same footprint. We have a stationary coop and run, but the town is changing the "rules" for chicken owners. they did free range but they no longer are allows to. we don't have the land to put up a nice run given the new distance requirements. a tractor is the best way for us to go and looking forward to what you guys have to say about them!

3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    I have seen videos of 10 x 10 tractors, and larger. To me, the most important consideration is can you move it and how to do so.

At first blush, panels of wire bent quonset hut style with light-weight frame would be the way to go. But I don't have a tractor.

Chris

4. Dee Dee 2

Dee Dee 2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2012
    Tomball, Tx.
    Leah S. You had some questions about chicken tractors. There is a design by a man in the Ozarks that has a fantastic design complete with how -to and a list of all materials. If you go to "coops and designs I think you can find it." Sorry I am not computer savy and have a terrible time going to and finding what I need on BYC - Im learning though. Good luck - check out this guys chic tractor - its GREAT !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by