Chicken Tractor

2overeasy000

Songster
9 Years
Dec 1, 2010
How big of a chicken tractor would you recommend for 6 chickens? We already have a perm. coop and run for 12 chickens total. But, I just got 6 more pullets (for a total of 12). And they are about 6 weeks old. Until they are big enough to put in with the other 6 chix, I want to put them in a tractor during the day and then after the move to the perm. coop, I want to continue to use the tractor for half the flock at a time. What do you guys think?

I have been drawing up some plans for a 6' x 12' that I am planning for 6 birds at a time. I think that will be heavy enough that it will stand up good but not so heavy i couldn't move it around the property. I plan on having a 4' section on the end for roost space. I think it will work great but if it don't I will try something different.

Kenny

A 3x8 would be big enough for 6 pullets. If you make it 2x4's it should be lite enough to move by yourself.

I keep bantams in a 4x6. Usually only a quad but for 6 LF hens my 4x8 would be better.
I have tractors in all shapes and sizes.

I think this one would be okay for 6 hens but it would need to be moved every day. Right now I have 6 4-5 month old LF roos in it and they are a bit crowded. I move it every morning for them because it is definitely nasty after 24 hours of them eating the grass, scratching and then pooping in it all night.

9332_side_view.jpg

9332_door_open_no_sides.jpg

Quote:
Think a tractor that size would be hard to move by hand, might need a tractor. ours is 30"x60" and 36" high, it sets 24" off the ground. don't know the weight but its quite heavy. its assembled from plywood, 2x2's and 2x4's, like I said, its quite heavy. being heavy still didn't keep it from blowing over in the twister. we have since added eye bolts to tie it down in bad weather.

Thanks to everyone for your advice and pics. I think I will be going with a 8'x4' A-frame style. I will try to post pics of the progress. Thanks again.

I currently have 7 in a 4 X 8 A frame ConvertiCoop it's hard to move by yourself and it's heavy. I don't know where you live but you could get away with a PVC tractor. If your worried about weight you could put sand in the pipes to help weigh it down and you can add wheels to it. I'm still trying to figure out how to add wheels to my coop.

Back
Top Bottom