Chicken tractors and portable coops!

Countrypunk92

Songster
10 Years
May 26, 2009
Portland, tennessee
Hey guys, back on BYC after a very long break. Fixing to get married and about to buy our first house and I’m excited to have chickens again! Only bad thing is , I’ll be in the city! Not a big city, it’s a small town in Kentucky but it’s in a big nice neighborhood. So I’m looking for coops that are easy to move around and look good to the eyes who pass by ! Whatcha got?

Since you are in KY, I thought this one may be just in tune. Also movable.
350x700px-LL-54ccfb0e_Screenshot_2016-05-27-19-21-04-1.png

Welcome back,,,,,,,,, WISHING YOU BEST. :thumbsup

Hey guys, back on BYC after a very long break. Fixing to get married and about to buy our first house and I’m excited to have chickens again! Only bad thing is , I’ll be in the city! Not a big city, it’s a small town in Kentucky but it’s in a big nice neighborhood. So I’m looking for coops that are easy to move around and look good to the eyes who pass by ! Whatcha got?
If I were to build another portable coop, I'd have to consider building it on a trailer. Of course, I already have a trailer, but if I didn't I'd try to find a used one in decent shape

How much land do you have? Agreed with Sour, that checking with your zoning laws would be the first step. Just something to keep in mind: If you make a tractor, it will need to be moved every day in order to keep your birds from destroying the lawn under it. Tractors that are truly mobile are also difficult to make predator proof. Even in the city, you will have possums, coons, rats, snakes, and even weasels. And if you ever intend to use any chemical insecticides/herbicides you won't want your tractor on a treated lawn.

I would opt for a small flock in a well designed stationary coop/run. I would avoid the prefabs, and design a coop that compliments the style of my house. It would be a walk in, with attached walk in run. You could soften the visual impact by putting a flower bed or a hedge of sorts around it. And, you might consider making a shed, with the coop being part of the shed. Every home owner needs storage for outside equipment. If your home has a garage, you could add on to one side or end of the garage.

Keep the following needs in mind: 4 s.f. in coop, 10 s.f. in run per bird. 1 l.f. of perch per bird, with perch being above nest boxes, at least 2' off floor, 12 - 15" from back wall, and minimum of 18" between perch and ceiling. 1 s.f. of ventilation per bird, or ventilation = to 10% of floor space.

Yes I’ve checked the local zoning laws and I’m going to contact he code enforcer this week, the only thing the city ordinances stated was you can’t have fowl within 100 feet of a residence for commercial purposes. And cannot sell dyed chicks. I will of course check with my neighbors so they are aware and if there are any problems we can find middle ground,

The property is in a subdivision but I have a double lot, I would say it’s an acre and half of not 2 acres

Glad you’re back ! Good luck on your future. :frow

Welcome back sure hope it all works well where your moving to
I own a portable I got free but beefed it with hardware cloth bottom the grass will come up through three sheets aluminum new door but still can be moved by a human or tractor lawn or farm styleView attachment 1255814
Thanks, I did something like this with the frame from a trampoline, Wasn't well designed like this but it worked lol.

Back
Top Bottom