Chicken Treats?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mbaur83, Mar 23, 2011.

1. mbaur83

mbaur83 New Egg

Jan 14, 2009
    What does everyone feed their chickens as treats? We've got two buff orpingtons, two weeks old. Can we feed them treats yet? First time chicken owner here. Thanks!

2. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    [​IMG] I start with a little lowfat yogurt. I let them take it off my fingers till they get bigger. I also give mine finely cut up grapes. Since you only have two, you could use one or two slices of a grape that have been cut small. Make sure they have access to chick grit to help them grind the food. I introduce only one food item at a time so I dont shock their system and can tell if they are having issues with that particular food. Remember, treats are nice and a way to make the evil hand look much better but like all goodies, should be given in moderation. The little raptors will learn quickly to work you for treats so dont fall prey to their thought control!!! Oh--enjoy your new babies and welcome to the addiction!

3. mbaur83

mbaur83 New Egg

Jan 14, 2009
    I just found the treat chart on BYC, awesome!

4. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    They are so manipulative, aren't they. It's funny how smart they are; much more than everyone gives them credit for. Mine know how to work me good and get anything they want.

5. SIMPleChick

SIMPleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    New chicken owner too! I have given them grass and weeds and they like that, I went for something they would get naturally if they were outside. Yesterday I finely cut up some extra romaine lettuce I had and a whole sandwich baggie full was gone in 5 minutes between 11 chicks! I couldn't believe how much they loved it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by