Chicken Truble!!!!

doueik

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 29, 2010
Dearborn heights MI
Hi i need help really bad! Im new to chickens i bought a pair of buff bramas show quailty. The hen is makeing wiered sounnds its snoring and wont walk will just crowch down and stay there. shes not hungrey and wont drink.. I dont live near any farms or tractor stores. Is there sanything i can make at home for her or can u tell me whats wrong with her?

i just got her. i put her in a coop and the beeding is cut grass the rooster keeped mateing her then when i went to check she was laying on the coop floor i have her seperated now shes siting but wont walk eat or drink. still make sounds like there somthing lik buggers stuck in her nose.

POSTING GUIDELINES for Emergencies / Diseases and Cures.

Please help us to help you.
When you need to post in the "Emergencies / Diseases and Cures" section please make the title of your thread concise and specific. For example, to title a thread "HELP" or "URGENT" or "EMERGENCY", etc., is not helpful for us or for you. Nor is telling us "my hen is sick, what should I do?" A good example of a new thread subject: "Chicken got into the pool-barely breathing! Help!"

Off topic posts will be moved, with an explanation, to an area better suited to that post.

Give us the following information. The more you tell us, the better we will be able to help you.

1) What type of bird , age and weight.
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
10) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
11) Describe the housing/bedding in use

Remember that we are not veterinarians. We help based on our own research and experiences.
We cannot monitor the board 24/7, and therefore do not guarantee we can always help, much as we would wish to.
We should never be a replacement if real medical attention is required.
If your situation seems to require a trip to the vet, please do so. It is always a good idea to know of an avian vet in your area in case your situation is bad enough that we cannot help. We encourage you to visit the Reference Forum and read up there before you need the information.

Some important links to read:

Links to disease symptoms and information
Chicken Anatomy
Friendly Reminder-PLEASE Quarantine Newly Purchased Birds!

Thank you!

The BYC Staff

The above is the StickyNote from this section. It will help others help you if you do your best to answer the questions.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3569

In the meantime, I'd isolate her in a hurry. One roo, one hen? Usually very bad for the hen, the usual ratio is 10 to 1. I would also get them both off the cut grass asap.

Hmm, that's hard. Chickens are vulnerable and being left out in the rain and then brought to a new coop (stressful) with an active/aggressive rooster is a lot. Possibly she even swallowed some grass cuttings to create a blockage. Sometimes there is not much you can do to save them. You can give her more time and try putting a little apple cider vinegar and/or electrolytes if you have them in her water in case she is drinking. Could try gently massaging her crop and see what you feel. Remember she is probably already overwhelmed with a new space and having to deal with that on top of everything. Maybe someone else has better thoughts for blockages in case that's the problem.

Back
Top Bottom