Chicken turning into a rooster

leonsroarteam

In the Brooder
May 5, 2023
I currently have 9 Easter eggers that are a little over 3 years old, among them a hen named "Z," who has been having difficulty laying eggs with fragile shells or no shells at all. Recently, I've noticed that Z is developing waddles, which could be a sign of transitioning into a rooster. However, Z has become increasingly aggressive towards another hen named "Sammy," who was previously on a similar hierarchical level. This aggression has left Sammy so frightened that she spends most of her time hiding in the coop and only comes out when we are present.

To address the situation, I have bought a coop with a run and separated Z from the rest of the group. My concern is whether this aggressive behavior is caused by Z's transition or if Z needs to be permanently removed from the group. Alternatively, perhaps a few weeks of isolation will resolve the issue. However, I'm worried that even after the isolation period, Z may continue to attack Sammy.

What is your perspective on this matter?

that's what I thought too, but plenty of research online indicated that yes. It's rare, something along the lines of 1 in 10,000 chickens. It happens when their only ovary is damaged/stops working. They get the appearance of the rooster but are still biologically hens.

Not sure what’s going on with your hen but I’m sure hens don’t turn into roosters!
Actually that does happen, though it's rare. A hen only has one functional ovary (the left one.) If the left ovary becomes non-functional, the right ovary can start producing androgen, and the former hen will grow a large comb and wattles, develop male feathering, and can begin crowing. Phenotypically she appears fully male.

@leonsroarteam , i think the best you can do is temporarily separate your hen and see if her recent aggression gets worse or eventually eases.

Actually that does happen, though it's rare. A hen only has one functional ovary (the left one.) If the left ovary becomes non-functional, the right ovary can start producing androgen, and the former hen will grow a large comb and wattles, develop male feathering, and can begin crowing. Phenotypically she appears fully male.

@leonsroarteam , i think the best you can do is temporarily separate your hen and see if her recent aggression gets worse or eventually eases.
Can it then be used to to mate with hens and give them fertile eggs?

Can it then be used to to mate with hens and give them fertile eggs?
The answer is almost never, but I have run across a few cases where such a bird did start producing testosterone and fathered chicks. Let me see if I can locate where I read those case studies; I won't reply back unless I re-locate the documentation.🙂

So could it be possible to still lay an egg?
The answer is also likely not, since a hen needs a functional left ovary in order to lay eggs.

Back
Top Bottom