Chicken turning into a rooster

LOL! Served with BBQ sauce afterwards???
It wasn't funny to all the people (mostly women) that were burned alive at the stake after being found guilty of witchcraft in the European middle ages, and it wasnt funny to those found guilty of being witches in the U.S. in colonial times. It also wasn't funny to those who did the condemning, because they believed they were doing a great thing by executing the "witches." Here is a little more info about the rooster "witch".
https://htrchickens.com/2020/10/28/spooky-chicken-tales-part-i-rooster-burned-at-the-stake/

It wasn't funny to all the people (mostly women) that were burned alive at the stake after being found guilty of witchcraft in the European middle ages, and it wasnt funny to those found guilty of being witches in the U.S. in colonial times. It also wasn't funny to those who did the condemning, because they believed they were doing a great thing by executing the "witches." Here is a little more info about the rooster "witch".
https://htrchickens.com/2020/10/28/spooky-chicken-tales-part-i-rooster-burned-at-the-stake/
I apologize for my insensitivity. I'm sorry for making light of it.

I’m dealing with a similar situation and at wits end. Three hens, in a very urban environment. The lowest ranking hen (3yo easter egger) used to fly out of the fenced in area to escape the pecking of the other hens. We covered the run to prevent her escapes last year and it seems like she’s taken it as an opportunity to fight back. She stopped laying and started crowing a few weeks ago, much to the dismay of our neighbors. I went out of town for a few days and isolated her, to give the neighbors a break. While I was gone, the middle hen (5 yo Wyandotte) dominated the lead hen (3 yo buff Orpington) so when I reintroduced the rooster-hen, the pecking order completely flipped, and now our highest ranking hen is bleeding and isolated and at the bottom. (Don’t worry, we patched her up.) plus the rooster-hen is now crowing around the clock. I am going to try the no-crow collar. She’s a mean bird so I’m not excited about that. Any other ideas? I hate to get rid of her and the crowing has to stop.

I’m dealing with a similar situation and at wits end. Three hens, in a very urban environment. The lowest ranking hen (3yo easter egger) used to fly out of the fenced in area to escape the pecking of the other hens. We covered the run to prevent her escapes last year and it seems like she’s taken it as an opportunity to fight back. She stopped laying and started crowing a few weeks ago, much to the dismay of our neighbors. I went out of town for a few days and isolated her, to give the neighbors a break. While I was gone, the middle hen (5 yo Wyandotte) dominated the lead hen (3 yo buff Orpington) so when I reintroduced the rooster-hen, the pecking order completely flipped, and now our highest ranking hen is bleeding and isolated and at the bottom. (Don’t worry, we patched her up.) plus the rooster-hen is now crowing around the clock. I am going to try the no-crow collar. She’s a mean bird so I’m not excited about that. Any other ideas? I hate to get rid of her and the crowing has to stop.
I find it much easier to deal with a difficult bird after night falls, so if you need to handle her in any way, do so under the cover of darkness. Some people are adamant that a no-crow collar should never be used under any conditions, but if that is the only way to spare a life, then I'm all for it. There are youtube videos that show how to properly place the collar on the neck.

Also, if you can post a photo of her appearance and video of her crowing, I (and probably others too) would love to see her.

Here's a video of her crowing this morning. Sorry for not being able to imbed this for easier viewing.
That's nuts! Her crow would make many roosters envious. (Actually I find the loud deep baritone kinda creepy.😅 ) It's hard to tell for sure by looking at her in the video, but her right side at least appears to still be completely hen-feathered. Have you seen any changes at all in her appearance, or just in her behaviors? I think that some here would advise you to get rid of her since you live in an urban environment, she stopped laying, and she has a mean temperament. But you said you dont really want to do that, and would try a no-crow collar. Have you done so yet?

I think your unique crowing hen is worthy of having her own thread in this forum. (If you do so, please tag me.😊) I think most people will say that since she's now 3 years old and has stopped laying, her left ovary has malfunctioned. Usually when that happens, a "hen" will become very masculine in appearance. I think many people will be incredulous to see your video. Thanks for posting. I'm sorry she/he is causing you troubles, but that crow is impressively amazing.😳

That's nuts! Her crow would make many roosters envious. (Actually I find the loud deep baritone kinda creepy.😅 ) It's hard to tell for sure by looking at her in the video, but her right side at least appears to still be completely hen-feathered. Have you seen any changes at all in her appearance, or just in her behaviors? I think that some here would advise you to get rid of her since you live in an urban environment, she stopped laying, and she has a mean temperament. But you said you dont really want to do that, and would try a no-crow collar. Have you done so yet?

I think your unique crowing hen is worthy of having her own thread in this forum. (If you do so, please tag me.😊) I think most people will say that since she's now 3 years old and has stopped laying, her left ovary has malfunctioned. Usually when that happens, a "hen" will become very masculine in appearance. I think many people will be incredulous to see your video. Thanks for posting. I'm sorry she/he is causing you troubles, but that crow is impressively amazing.😳
Thanks! As I have zero experience with roosters, your comments certainly support my concern about her bothering the neighbors! She doesn't seem much different to me -- her top comb may be longer/bigger. I'm not sure what an EE rooster looks like. With her beard and aggressive nature, plus she's never done the submissive hen squat for me, I've seen her as more masculine from the beginning, even when she was laying.

We tried the collar but haven't gotten it on tight enough to keep her from crowing. We'll try again today. For now, we've been having her sleep in a bathroom at night until we get to a reasonable hour of the day.😅 It's not a long term solution, clearly. And, I should be clear, she's mean to me while she's my daughter's favorite. I caught them sunbathing together on the grass yesterday - hen asleep, laying on my kid's belly.

I'll repost and see if others have suggestions on how to keep her. Someone else suggested surgery?

Seriously - just get rid of a bird that no longer fits the flock. If you keep them, they wind up ruining the whole chicken experience. There is little you can really do to stop behavior in a chicken. Sell or cull, and you will enjoy your flock again. You will be amazed at how much happier you are without the problem.
I hate to get rid of her and the crowing has to stop.

Back
Top Bottom