Chicken turning into a rooster

Actually that does happen, though it's rare. A hen only has one functional ovary (the left one.) If the left ovary becomes non-functional, the right ovary can start producing androgen, and the former hen will grow a large comb and wattles, develop male feathering, and can begin crowing. Phenotypically she appears fully male.

@leonsroarteam , i think the best you can do is temporarily separate your hen and see if her recent aggression gets worse or eventually eases.
About how long should I keep her temporarily separate? I've read anywhere from a few days to a few weeks.

Would be neat to see pics of the difference of before and after pics of chickens changes

I agree! I honestly didn't believe it and went to check to see wattle growth. It's fascinating but I can't get her still enough to take pictures. The funny thing was that she used to be the hen that was always getting picked on by others. But unfortunately her entire life she had problems laying eggs. I am glad that this is happening, because I read that chickens that lay eggs like these can die from blockage. It's easier to deal with a hormonal chicken!

I agree! I honestly didn't believe it and went to check to see wattle growth. It's fascinating but I can't get her still enough to take pictures. The funny thing was that she used to be the hen that was always getting picked on by others. But unfortunately her entire life she had problems laying eggs. I am glad that this is happening, because I read that chickens that lay eggs like these can die from blockage. It's easier to deal with a hormonal chicken!
Yes you have a chicken that most of us will never experience in our lifetime

I didn't yet relocate the specific case study of a genetic hen phenotypically becoming a rooster and producing testosterone to father chicks, but here are a couple of good articles explaining the condition. (There are many more if anyone wants to dig deep.) The first article is by a noted poultry author, and mentions cases where such birds produced semen and were capable of siring chicks.
https://poultry.extension.org/artic...n-chickens-kept-in-small-and-backyard-flocks/

https://www.livescience.com/13514-sex-change-chicken-gertie-hen-bertie-cockerel.html

@MommyGirl , here is mention of a "rooster" that began to lay eggs. Fair warning, the case was back the late 1400s, and that bird was burned at the stake for being a "witch."😭 But the article also lists 2 more recent cases too, and explains how such a thing could happen.
https://www.mypetchicken.com/blogs/faqs/can-a-hen-can-turn-into-a-rooster

I have the same thing happening, also with an Easter Egger! I got three hens, they are about a year old. I've had them about a month. The previous owner was moving, and the hens were free ranging and laying eggs in hidden nests for a few months, so it's unknown exactly when this issue started. One of the chickens lays a bright blue egg, another lays a brown egg, and one hadn't been laying ANY eggs. Previously, she had been laying cream colored eggs per the previous owner. I figured it was possible that this hen was just taking longer than her friends to settle in (the other two took no time off after they moved, and I'm getting 6-7 eggs a week from each)...except that Miss No Eggs is also crowing, AND facing off with roosters in adjoining pens through the fence! She is big and shiny and healthy looking, she eats and drinks and acts normally, just like a rooster.

She has bigger, redder, wattles than the other two hens, as well as a bigger comb, but I don't have any pictures of her from before, so I don't know if those are normal for her.

Sigh. Not sure what to do with her...

I have the same thing happening, also with an Easter Egger! I got three hens, they are about a year old. I've had them about a month. The previous owner was moving, and the hens were free ranging and laying eggs in hidden nests for a few months, so it's unknown exactly when this issue started. One of the chickens lays a bright blue egg, another lays a brown egg, and one hadn't been laying ANY eggs. Previously, she had been laying cream colored eggs per the previous owner. I figured it was possible that this hen was just taking longer than her friends to settle in (the other two took no time off after they moved, and I'm getting 6-7 eggs a week from each)...except that Miss No Eggs is also crowing, AND facing off with roosters in adjoining pens through the fence! She is big and shiny and healthy looking, she eats and drinks and acts normally, just like a rooster.

She has bigger, redder, wattles than the other two hens, as well as a bigger comb, but I don't have any pictures of her from before, so I don't know if those are normal for her.

Sigh. Not sure what to do with her...
Can you post some pictures of her?

Back
Top Bottom