1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken turning white

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by eBird, Nov 23, 2016.

1. eBird

eBird Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2013
    My sweet, adventurous Mille fleur, Scout went through a her first molt a month ago and is now timid and mostly white (she was mostly caramel color prior to the molt) !? She also has bad dander and a pale comb. I have given her some coconut oil, which she (and the other chickens) loves.

I am not sure if these signs are indicative of something more serious?

Thank you for any insights!
    Erin

2. henny1129

henny1129 Crazy Livestock Gal

Mar 21, 2016
    Ohio!
    Do you have any pics of her?

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Everything you describe fits with a hen going through molt. Feathers do change color as they age,fading, darkening with soil and grime, and new feathers coming in will appear much brighter and have more contrast. Also there is a prodigious amount of dander that gets shed as molt progresses. Pale, dry comb is also very normal. As her hormones resume, her comb will become large again and red and moist.

It's also completely normal for chickens in molt to be subdued and cranky, and a little lethargic. They also fuss when you try to handle them because feathers growing in hurt when touched. She will resume her cheerful personality once molt is complete which may take a bit longer even though it may look as if she's done.

4. henny1129

henny1129 Crazy Livestock Gal

Mar 21, 2016
    Ohio!
    I was thinking it was just a normal molt as well, but wanted to see a pic just in case. :)

5. eBird

eBird Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2013
    Thank you @henny1129 and @azygous ! I will post a photo tomorrow :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by