Chicken & Turtle Soup

Barnyard Dawg

Songster
12 Years
Feb 7, 2007
Northern California
We cull our chickens out periodically, yesterday we culled a small white leghorn that was still laying eggs, and my wife made a soup, after butchering the chicken she butchered a turtle, for those that have a hard time with chickens I sure wouldn’t recommend trying this. The soup contained pork bones, a whole chicken and a three and a half-pound turtle with shell added, along with some other ingredients she added. The turtles are very tasty this time of the year since it is cold; it is dark meat.

Sounds nummy, but I think I'll leave out the turtle tooooo, I just can't bring myself to try new foods.....
smile.png

Painted turtles would work just fine since they are plentiful and I believe are considered a game species, which would require a fishing license in some or most states to harvest them? We get ours from an Asian market I don't know if they are wild, imported or farm raised. They are between 3-4 pounds the roosters are the best eating, my wife can tell by the shell shape and the female have eggs so not as much meat. She will cook them like she would a lobster first by placing them whole in boiling water so they urinate and defecate so they are clean internally before the butchering takes place.

Ever hate yourself for looking at something really nasty and gross or taking a big inhale when something smells horrible??!! That is how I feel about this thread, man I knew I shouldn't have looked!!!!! I have picked tutles up out the road for years and yers. I've had them as pets. Poeple give me glass, resin, ceramic..turtles for presents...now I will think all day about them floating in a a soup pot, man I wish I hadn't looked, lol!!!! Darlene

i had no idea you could buy turtles in the store to eat. there is an asian market a few towns over. mabye i'll take a look see.

Back
Top Bottom