Chicken unable to get on perch

chrys64moore

Chirping
9 Years
Dec 12, 2012
I have a three year old Orpington hen who is unable to get up on the perch with the other hens. She has been having trouble hopping up and over the entrance to the coop, and once in the yard, can't get up the ladder to get back in. Up until yesterday, she had been hopping up the ladder to the perch and sleeping there with the others, but the last couple of nights I've found her on the floor. The weakness seems to have gotten worse lately---she's been unable to do even short jumps for about six months, but she still somehow managed to get up on the perch every night. She is not underweight, she eats well and drinks well, looks healthy otherwise. Walks just fine, no sores on the feet. I wormed her, dusted her for mites, and checked her vent for stuck eggs or diarrhea, but nothing. No swelling in her abdomen or discharge of any kind. I'm not sure if she's laying---all of the hens have slowed down or stopped laying due to age, although a couple will lay every once in awhile. I'm at wits end trying to figure this out. Any guesses?

Try supplementing water 3 days a week with a good quality poultry vitamin-electrolyte powder. Once a week add 1 tsp of Probios dispersible powder to water as well. Hens that become inactive for a long period of time due to moult, can develop a condition called fatty liver disease. Lewerstim or Bludform are two very good liver support/detox supplements commonly used by some pigeon fanciers. I use Lewerstim. Ferti-Cal is another food supplement which is wholly beneficial. When mixed with Avio-gel in 150 ml of tepid water, it forms a paste. It is then mixed with feed well so it is all coated. It solidifies after 15 minutes, and can be fed to the birds. Since birds tend to drink less in winter, I go the route of supplementing feed to ensure they benefit from supplementation.

I would go that route if you don't suspect disease. Anemic or weak birds are certainly more susceptible to disease.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your reply---I started vitamins yesterday, and went looking for the other items you suggested...found the probiotics, may have to order the rest. There are so many ways that chickens can hide sickness, so I'm not really sure if she's sick or not. She looks and acts perfectly fine, so there's not much to go on. I will try the things you mentioned and hope for the best. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom