Chicken unable to stand

Echilde

Songster
Mar 17, 2019
Kentucky
2 days ago one of my hens was acting weird. She seemed like she was egg bound by the way she was standing. I checked and didn't feel anything. I put her in warm water for awhile and massaged her vent, still nothing. I figured I would keep her inside so I could keep an eye on her. Next day, she was hobbling on one leg. I'd had a hen previously who had hurt a leg flying off the roost so I thought maybe that was it. Later yesterday, she wouldn't/couldn't stand at all. Today it's almost like she is paralyzed (legs). She curls her toes on one foot, but not the other. She is only drinking a little and not eating. Otherwise, her comb looks good and her eyes look fine. I don't feel or see any cysts or obvious injuries. She does not have mites or worms. She is still feisty when I pick her up and can move all other parts of her body fine. I have no idea what is wrong. Ideas?

Can you insert a clean finger into her vent to feel for a stuck egg? Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? Have you added any new chickens to your flock recently? If she isn’t egg bound, she could have hurt her leg and caused nerve damage possibly. Something inside putting pressure on a sciatic nerve, such a s infection, or a stuck egg can cause paralysis and curled under toes. Mareks disease could also be a problem. Hopefully, it isn’t Mareks, but here is some reading about it:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

Can you insert a clean finger into her vent to feel for a stuck egg? Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? Have you added any new chickens to your flock recently? If she isn’t egg bound, she could have hurt her leg and caused nerve damage possibly. Something inside putting pressure on a sciatic nerve, such a s infection, or a stuck egg can cause paralysis and curled under toes. Mareks disease could also be a problem. Hopefully, it isn’t Mareks, but here is some reading about it:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/
Yes vaccinated. No new chickens since last summer. I haven't felt an egg, but can try internal check tomorrow. If not an egg, then I guess I am left to assume that it is something internally pressing on her spine or something. I was hopeful that she'd be ok, but if she doesn't start eating something soon, she isn't going to make it anyway. Thanks for the insight.

Pictures of the chicken can sometimes be helpful if you cannget one tomorrow. Glad that you have had no new chickens, and that she was vaccinated. That can help narrow down possibilities.

2 days ago one of my hens was acting weird. She seemed like she was egg bound by the way she was standing. I checked and didn't feel anything. I put her in warm water for awhile and massaged her vent, still nothing. I figured I would keep her inside so I could keep an eye on her. Next day, she was hobbling on one leg. I'd had a hen previously who had hurt a leg flying off the roost so I thought maybe that was it. Later yesterday, she wouldn't/couldn't stand at all. Today it's almost like she is paralyzed (legs). She curls her toes on one foot, but not the other. She is only drinking a little and not eating. Otherwise, her comb looks good and her eyes look fine. I don't feel or see any cysts or obvious injuries. She does not have mites or worms. She is still feisty when I pick her up and can move all other parts of her body fine. I have no idea what is wrong. Ideas?
read your post and we are having identical issues with our hen. she looks like a football, puffed up and head tucked in, crouching. we did an internal check and no evidence of being egg bound but had some yolk come out. we did not introduce any new birds and no other changes to the flock. curious if your hen is crouching or squatting?

read your post and we are having identical issues with our hen. she looks like a football, puffed up and head tucked in, crouching. we did an internal check and no evidence of being egg bound but had some yolk come out. we did not introduce any new birds and no other changes to the flock. curious if your hen is crouching or squatting?
Sounds like she had a softshell egg break inside her and that can set her up for internal infection.

She was when I originally brought her in, which is why I thought she was egg bound, but now she is just laying with her legs under her.

Pictures of the chicken can sometimes be helpful if you cannget one tomorrow. Glad that you have had no new chickens, and that she was vaccinated. That can help narrow down possibilities.

I didn't feel anything when I checked her and nothing came out. So I'm at a loss. I guess i will give her vitamins and such in her water and see what happens. If she isnt better in a few more days or showing any signs of improvement I guess I will have to put her out of her misery.

I can't get a pic of her legs, but basically when I hold her they just dangle. The left one seems to have a little movement when I touch her foot she will lift her leg a time bit but her right leg just hangs there no matter what I do.

Attachments

• 20200403_082714.jpg
    20200403_082714.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20200403_082703.jpg
    20200403_082703.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 20200403_082714.jpg
    20200403_082714.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 20200403_082703.jpg
    20200403_082703.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 3
If hou do have to put her down, it would be good to get a necropsy to look for what is wrong. Sometimes a home necropsy can give some clues. I am sorry that she is not any better.

Back
Top Bottom