chicken unusual behavior and eye infection

Chicken56288

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2022
I have 2 chickens in concern they are a pair of the same breed i’m not sure what they are exactly but they are bantams. i’m more concerned about the female the male seems as if he’s getting better, he has no eye infection just unusually nonchalant
i’m not sure if the hens eye infection and her behavior are related but some please help if you know anything

i’m also noticing the hen is a little weak and can’t stank/walk
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:
Post several clear pictures of both birds and their eyes/faces. The video is very blurry for me so it is hard to tell what exactly it looks like. What is their habitat and feed like? Do the birds have an odor to them? Any mucus or snot in the nostrils or beak?

Post several clear pictures of both birds and their eyes/faces. The video is very blurry for me so it is hard to tell what exactly it looks like. What is their habitat and feed like? Do the birds have an odor to them? Any mucus or snot in the nostrils or beak?
i updated the thread with photos but no the only facial problem i’m seeing is a eye infection the female is weak though i’m not sure if that’s related to the eye infection or maybe she just can’t see properly enough to stand properly as to the feed i’m not entirely sure what my dad uses i believe just a mixed corn feed and right now i’m out of town with my dad for work so since they were sick we took them with us in a small pet carrier but they only really sleep i. there we let them walk the house so the can get a move and give them some time in the grass

also i’ve seen people say you can give them human eye drops is there and US brand you recommend ?

Did you just recently get these chickens? How old are they? Did they just recently become sick or have they been this way for a while? How long? If they are new, where did you get them?

What is your location? US? Europe? Asia?

Are they yours or are they your father's chickens?

From what I can see, they both look sick with some type of respiratory infection.
General care is to flush the eyes with saline, remove bubbles/pus/debris from the eyes, then apply Terramcyin eye ointment in the eyes. Do this a couple of times a day.

Traveling may be stressful and exacerbate symptoms. They may benefit from an antibiotic like Tylan/Tylosin. You will need to order it online. Follow the dosing instructions on the package.

For these birds, I'd provide them with Chick Starter or an All Flock feed to eat. Do provide grit (crushed granite) since you are letting them on grass.

If these birds are new to you and you have an existing flock, it would be a good idea to find out what illness they have. It's very possible that it could spread to your other birds if you don't take biosecurity precautions. You can have testing through your State Lab or through a Private Lab.

Did you just recently get these chickens? How old are they? Did they just recently become sick or have they been this way for a while? How long? If they are new, where did you get them?

What is your location? US? Europe? Asia?

Are they yours or are they your father's chickens?
i got them maybe less than a month ago, they are my fathers chickens but i assist in taking care of them, my dad contacted the vendor and like wyrop mentioned he told us to get tylon 50 the vendor said that was one of his first time selling at his spot he was at and there might have been a contaminated bird in the area we live in US

From what I can see, they both look sick with some type of respiratory infection.
General care is to flush the eyes with saline, remove bubbles/pus/debris from the eyes, then apply Terramcyin eye ointment in the eyes. Do this a couple of times a day.

Traveling may be stressful and exacerbate symptoms. They may benefit from an antibiotic like Tylan/Tylosin. You will need to order it online. Follow the dosing instructions on the package.

For these birds, I'd provide them with Chick Starter or an All Flock feed to eat. Do provide grit (crushed granite) since you are letting them on grass.

If these birds are new to you and you have an existing flock, it would be a good idea to find out what illness they have. It's very possible that it could spread to your other birds if you don't take biosecurity precautions. You can have testing through your State Lab or through a Private Lab.
the vendor we bought them from messaged us to get tylon 50 like you said we are going to pick some up at tractor supply the female is in the physical state as if she is dead i think she has little chance of surviving but the rooster is still able to stand and walk hopefully they can both live but i don’t think the female will be able to

Respiratory illness may not be the only issue. When relocating chickens from one locale to another, they can be vulnerable to coccidia in the soil if the strain is different from what they were used to in their previous home. Incubation is around one to two weeks, and it makes chickens very sick like yours are.

In addition to Tylan, get some liquid Corid. You will need to mix it into water for them all to drink at two teaspoon per gallon of water, but the sick ones should be treated with a drench dose which is undiluted Corid at .1ml per pound of body weight once a day for three days directly into the beak in addition to the Corid water.

the vendor we bought them from messaged us to get tylon 50 like you said we are going to pick some up at tractor supply the female is in the physical state as if she is dead i think she has little chance of surviving but the rooster is still able to stand and walk hopefully they can both live but i don’t think the female will be able to
Tylan was pulled from shelves in June, but it's possible your TSC may still have some available.

I'm sorry the pullet is so sick.

Back
Top Bottom