Chicken vanished without a trace...

:welcome :frow Hopefully she is hiding and will show up. If you have a game camera, put it up. Some predators snatch and grab and leave no signs. If anything is lurking you may see it on a camera. I have several. I was surprised at the predators that roam here especially at night but have lost birds in the past during the day. Good luck...

Is she a broody breed? Could she have snuck off to brood in a hidden spot?
She's a wyandotte and she's never gone broody before, but she's also only been laying eggs for about 4/5 months. The only one of my hens that's ever been broody before is my silkie, but I suppose she could be. I just don't know where she could or would be hiding if that was the case.

She's a wyandotte and she's never gone broody before, but she's also only been laying eggs for about 4/5 months. The only one of my hens that's ever been broody before is my silkie, but I suppose she could be. I just don't know where she could or would be hiding if that was the case.
When you get her back start training all your birds to come on command. You'll probably have to use treats just as you would a dog. And make sure they learn to sleep on a roost inside a predator proof coop at night. Every night. Same roost spot. Chickens can be trained quite easily. Good luck Hope she come home.

I agree, the best way to train a chicken and most anything really is treats. The way to a chicken's heart is through it's stomach especially with favorite treats. That is how I get my youngsters in their coop in the evening is with treats. They come to expect them and go in for their treats. I slowly miss treat time but they go in expecting treats eventually they will go in without them. Good luck...

When you get her back start training all your birds to come on command. You'll probably have to use treats just as you would a dog. And make sure they learn to sleep on a roost inside a predator proof coop at night. Every night. Same roost spot. Chickens can be trained quite easily. Good luck Hope she come home.

They are all already trained to come on command and they do sleep in a coop every night. Even when they're out, our yard isn't that big and is bordered by two separate creeks so they can't go very far when they're out. I've never had any of them even wander out of eye sight before or hesitate to come when called :'(

Back
Top Bottom