Chicken very wobbly, ?cold

Jun 13, 2022
Hey guys! This morning when letting my chickens out, 1 of my girls was quite wobbly. Never seen her do this before, there is also some poo (not messy or diarhoea) on her back feathers, not near her vent though. She doesnt perch at night and only sleeps on the floor. She seems well in herself, she got excited to see hot porridge this morning and comb looks healthy. She looks fine apart from wobbling. Its the coldest the girls have experienced before and it was -6c last night but made preparations to help keep warm. Shes a 2 year old ex battery hen and has always been slim, hasnt ever put on weight and she is quite small. Does anyone have any ideas?

Isolate her in a cage/crate in a warm room. Get your hands on her and give her a good exam. Give her food and water and observe for 24 hours. Since she is thin she may have something else going on and the cold weather made her worse.

Does she have thawed water all day? I would feel of her crop each morning to see if it is emptying overnight. In hens over 2-3 years, cancer and reproductive disorders are very common, and would cause her to lose weight. A crop disorder would also cause weight loss.

Isolate her in a cage/crate in a warm room. Get your hands on her and give her a good exam. Give her food and water and observe for 24 hours. Since she is thin she may have something else going on and the cold weather made her worse.
Hello, thanks for your response! Unfortunately I had to rush to a hospital appointment shortly after I found her but I left her with the girls as she was perky and enjoying the porridge. I got home after and she is absolutely normal? No wobbling at all. Shes running around and jumping onto perches, she soon sprinted as soon as she saw I had some meal worms. Shes still laying, feet and legs look good, crop is fine, comb is nice and red, eyes normal, and no drooping of any wings or tail. She now scratching the ground to look for bugs. I dont know wether she was just really cold? Gave her and the others a vitamin boost and added a small amount of thiamine to their food. I will keep checking on them but she had always been slim? Since we got her, she eats and drinks well, was treated for worms, and parasites a few months ago too. Forgot to say poos are fine.

Will keep an eye on her fingers crossed it was just a blip x

Does she have thawed water all day? I would feel of her crop each morning to see if it is emptying overnight. In hens over 2-3 years, cancer and reproductive disorders are very common, and would cause her to lose weight. A crop disorder would also cause weight loss.
Hey! Yes the water keeps freezing over night so we replace the water every day. Thank you I will check in the morning. I know ex battery hens dont have a long life span so it wouldnt suprise me if they did have anything. Thank you for your post x

Back
Top Bottom