Chicken vomiting and sneezing.

ABakes09

Songster
Jul 1, 2021
Approx 5-6months old chicken has been sneezing and vomiting. I’ve seen her gasping a couple of times. Still eating, drinking, and acting normal. I’m heading to TSC now to get meds. Is it respiratory, gapeworm? I also have another sneezing, but she sneezes every now and then. It does seem more frequent. Help. What do I need to do. I have vetRX, ivermectin, and a sulfa abx that I bought for coccidosis. I swear my chickens are constantly sick. Her beard is almost all picked out and he’s been wet. I’m assuming from vomiting.

Attachments

• E0096069-9557-4E4A-ADCA-AA3088E6032A.jpeg
    E0096069-9557-4E4A-ADCA-AA3088E6032A.jpeg
    363.3 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
A crop disorder, likely a yeast infection, can cause vomiting and if the sour liquid gets into the airway, sneezing. Feel her crop. Does it feel spongy like a water balloon?

If so, instead of heading to TSC, head to Walmart, if in the US, and buy some womens vaginal yeast cream. Treat by squeezing out half an inch of cream into her beak. Do it twice a day for a week.

A crop disorder, likely a yeast infection, can cause vomiting and if the sour liquid gets into the airway, sneezing. Feel her crop. Does it feel spongy like a water balloon?

If so, instead of heading to TSC, head to Walmart, if in the US, and buy some womens vaginal yeast cream. Treat by squeezing out half an inch of cream into her beak. Do it twice a day for a week.
I’m thinking you are right. I haven’t seen her “vomit” anymore. I’ve been giving her garlic/oregano water in a dropper. I had a too with sour crop before and this is what cured him. I just saw her sling her head and liquid come out. It doesn’t smell sour, but she feels very skinny. I’ll get some yeast cream and start treating her today. Her crop doesn’t feel like a water balloon, it always feels empty. Even though she is constantly eating and drinking. Any other suggestions on her?

my sneezing hen has been getting the garlic/oregano also and coated with VetRX twice. She seems to be sneezing slit less today. But still sneezing some. I bought LA-200 just in case she starts acting worse. Right now everyone still acts normal.

If more than one chicken is sneezing and has fluid discharge from beak or nares, you should suspect a respiratory infection and consider treating with an antibiotic.

What country are you in?

If more than one chicken is sneezing and has fluid discharge from beak or nares, you should suspect a respiratory infection and consider treating with an antibiotic.

What country are you in?
US. I bought the la-200. The sneezing has decreased a noticeable amount today as compared to yesterday. It’s mainly my other salmon sneezing, although I did hear my roo sneezing yesterday.
I got the yeast cream and gave it to her. That was a lot easier to say than it actually was to accomplish. I haven’t noticed anymore fluid discharge from salmon like it was yesterday. And no one else seems to have any.

So the sneezing never progressed beyond sneezing and no other chicken ever started. My two salmons are the only ones that sneezed. Mainly my darker one. She has pretty much stopped. My lighter salmon that was vomiting was treated with monistat for sour crop for 7 days. I alternated their water between vitamins/electrolytes, then oregano/garlic, then probiotics. Changing it every two days. I also put ivermectin in their water as a dewormer for the entire flock. I kinda just threw everything at them. They are both alive and seem to be doing well. Thanks for asking. I honestly think the sneezing may be allergies 🤷🏼‍♀️ I have sand in their run and I keep raked out and pine shavings in the coop that I scoop daily. I haven’t been able to figure anything else out.

If you feed dry crumbles, it has dust that can cause sneezing when chickens dive into it and eat too fast. Mine do this all the time when I run out of fermented feed and give them dry.

Back
Top Bottom