Chicken vs Duck Egg question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MysticScorpio82, May 6, 2009.

1. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    I have always been curious, do duck eggs taste different than chicken eggs? I never had the opportunity to try duck eggs.

2. karanleaf

karanleaf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    Glenwood, Missouri
    I believe they may taste a little bit different but I don't think they taste bad at all. I really think they (duck eggs) are great for cooking, cakes, egg noodles custards and they make very fluffy omlets [​IMG] yum I like them hard boiled too [​IMG] One of the gals that works here in the Courthouse she took a dozen home she wanted to sneak them under the radar sorta speak. Well her son loves them and askes if she was getting more. [​IMG] The yolk is a bit richer and yellower but they are good. [​IMG] Now thats my story and I'm sticking to it [​IMG]

[​IMG] Karan

3. MysticScorpio82

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    Bumping in hopes of getting more than 1 response...[​IMG]

4. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    SE Iowa
    Yes, duck eggs are very strong tasting, especially the yoke. They are excellent for baking, etc. I have to say once you get used to the difference between the two you won't know the difference.

5. mythkat

mythkat Chillin' With My Peeps

I love my duck eggs. Even my husband (the man who swore he would never eat a green chicken egg) loves them. He couldn't understand why I have ducks but he's glad now. The only thing I haven't tried is hard boiled but I'm doing that this weekend. If they are too rich for you you can mix them with chicken eggs.

6. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I don`t know if I would term it "strong tasting", but "rich" comes to mind. Duck and goose eggs are higher in fat and are great tasting, but alas, "fat" is a 4 letter word for most of us......Pop

7. MysticScorpio82

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    Thank you for the responses. I think I am going to get a couple of ducks afterall. I got the chickens for eggs and meat, but never really thought about eating duck eggs til now! [​IMG] Thank you again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by