Chicken w/Rapidly Swelling Eye on One Side

Dixie0831

In the Brooder
Jun 4, 2023
I noticed my 18-week pullet standing fluffed up in the corner about 30 minutes ago in the typical "sick chicken" stance and shaking a little with her breaths. I brought her inside for a good once over -- no crop abnormalities, nothing around her vent, no signs of foot issues or visible wounds, mites/lice, etc. They had been free ranging for a few hours in the afternoon but had been back in the run for an hour or two before I saw her.

After bringing her inside I noticed one eye was mostly closed while the other was open and the skin around the eye was a little swollen. It has become more swollen and she is now open-mouthed panting but no nasal discharge, rattling, wheezing, etc. She did just poop and had diarrhea as well. I've never encountered anything like this -- does anyone know what this could be?

Attachments

• IMG_20230812_181748649_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230812_181748649_HDR.jpg
    457.9 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20230812_181756966_MF_PORTRAIT.jpg
    IMG_20230812_181756966_MF_PORTRAIT.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20230812_185432233_MF_PORTRAIT.jpg
    IMG_20230812_185432233_MF_PORTRAIT.jpg
    426 KB · Views: 11
Can you see if there looks like a place on the face/eye where she's been stung by a bee or insect?
Rapidly swelling makes me think she was stung.

The panting is a bit concerning - can you determine if she's just stressed by being moved inside or is it related to the swelling?

Look inside her beak to be sure she has not swelling of the tongue.

Can you see if there looks like a place on the face/eye where she's been stung by a bee or insect?
Rapidly swelling makes me think she was stung.

The panting is a bit concerning - can you determine if she's just stressed by being moved inside or is it related to the swelling?

Look inside her beak to be sure she has not swelling of the tongue.
I couldn't find a visible place that it looked like she was stung. I did dab at the area with saline solution and was able to find/remove a very tiny item (maybe a small splinter or thorn or something I'm unsure) and I applied a very small amount of Neosporin to the swollen area. I'm guessing the panting was stress as she has been acting her normal self since then and I couldn't see any visible swelling of the tongue. Eating and drinking pretty normally as far as I can tell. However, the swelling has not gone down on her face yet and it has been almost two days since it initially occurred. Any thoughts on how long that might take or things to do to reduce that further?

Could it have been a stinger that came off? If it was a sting, Benadryl might help at 2 mg per pound. Benadryl tablets are 25 mg, so that would be a small chip, or if children’s liquid is used, a small amount. If it is swollen from trauma or abscess, I would just watch it in case pus needs to be squeezed out. A warm wrung out wet wash cloth as a compress for 5- minutes might help.

Glad she's stopped panting, I agree, likely stress.
Giving the Benadryl and warm compress as suggested may be helpful it the swelling is due to being stung.

Could it have been a stinger that came off? If it was a sting, Benadryl might help at 2 mg per pound. Benadryl tablets are 25 mg, so that would be a small chip, or if children’s liquid is used, a small amount. If it is swollen from trauma or abscess, I would just watch it in case pus needs to be squeezed out. A warm wrung out wet wash cloth as a compress for 5- minutes might help.

Glad she's stopped panting, I agree, likely stress.
Giving the Benadryl and warm compress as suggested may be helpful it the swelling is due to being stung.
That worked wonderfully. Her eye has gone down and appears pretty much back to normal. Thank you both very much!!

Back
Top Bottom