Chicken walking backward/head shaking

Jessika0824

Hatching
Mar 18, 2018
My husband and I are new to chickens . We have 8. This morning he noticed strange behavior from one of our Rhode Island Reds. She keeps putting her head down between her two front feet and shaking her head and is walking backward and falling over . She's keeping her eyes closed most of the time. We've gotten her to peck the ground a little and sip some water and gave her some Nutri-drench . Everything I've researched is sounding like the neck issue from a vitamin deficiency but I'm really concerned . She looks in very bad shape. She is about a month old. Non of the others are showing any signs like her . She was fine around 10-11 pm last night and my husband noticed her acting this was around 7:30. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated .

Yes, it is probably wry neck. In addition to Nutri-drench, give her vitamin E 400iu with a sliver of selenium, plus B-complex. Do this once a day until she is symptom free.

My husband and I are new to chickens . We have 8. This morning he noticed strange behavior from one of our Rhode Island Reds. She keeps putting her head down between her two front feet and shaking her head and is walking backward and falling over . She's keeping her eyes closed most of the time. We've gotten her to peck the ground a little and sip some water and gave her some Nutri-drench . Everything I've researched is sounding like the neck issue from a vitamin deficiency but I'm really concerned . She looks in very bad shape. She is about a month old. Non of the others are showing any signs like her . She was fine around 10-11 pm last night and my husband noticed her acting this was around 7:30. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated .
THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED TO MY SILKIE ROOSTER, NO KIDDING!
I had no idea what it could be, thinking mites, brain damage, etc. We settled on molting, because we read Silkies were babies when it came to that, but I don't believe it was. The best advice I can give is to hang on and keep feeding her and making sure she has water. Keep her separated from the flock. Our Amadeus made a full recovery after about 3 weeks or so of this wacky behavior.

Back
Top Bottom