Chicken walking backwards, sneezing a bit, watery diarrhea

Improved this morning. Still backwards walking, a slightly wetter sounding sneeze, but much more forward momentum and upright walking too. I think we're on the right track. I'll update if anything changes, it might be a few days.

Thanks all!

Continued improvement. Forward walking at least 50% of the time this morning and she loved the Vitamin E pill and ate it willingly? :p

Oh, also switched to a high-quality pelleted food vs. component-based food a couple days ago so it won't happen again. I do think she was seed sorting.

Walking backward is a sign of neurological issues. Vitamin E/Selenium deficiency is one reason, but there are other possible causes if you think the diet is in check. If she sneezes and has diarrhea, I would think of coryza. Here is a list of more reasons why a chicken walks backward, including viral diseases and head injuries. The girl in the video fixed the issue by giving tuna, I would not stop giving vitamin E.

I'm a little bit puzzled with the 400IU. The highest intake recommendation I can find is DSM OVN for laying hens 20-30IU/kg, up to 200mg/kg under stress. For broilers 50-100IU/kg, up to 200mg/kg under stress. I hope that the vitamin E tablet solved the issue. Keep us posted if you will.

I've never even seen a hatchery that offers ND vaccination. So far, with every dose she seems to get a little better. She hasn't walked backward after the first dose of Poultry Cell and scrambled egg, and she's starting to pick her head up a bit more vs. keeping it low to the ground. I'll give her another CC of the Poultry Cell and tuna with vitamin E tonight at bedtime and see how she is in the morning.

Last edited:
That is a _great_ idea! And lets me save my (rather significant) investment!

Her poo other than the one episode of diarrhea, looks totally normal. This morning, she's back to the weirdness. I got her tuna and Poultry Cell and Vit E in her, let's see how she feels in a couple of hours. No other chickens are exhibiting any signs of illness and she still looks perfectly healthy and beautiful.

She still is sneezing occasionally, but without any "wetness" to it. More like the "I have dust in my nose" snorty sneeze.

Can chickens get COVID? We've all had it this past week... When I had it, for 3 days I had an unrelenting headache...

Edit: Internet says they can't catch COVID from us. So that's good.

Last edited:
Oh god no - maybe 3 pounds. The label just said "Give chickens 1-3cc per day during times of stress or competition." Yikes! I'll stop giving her so much!

On the plus side, she hasn't been _that_ badly overdosed. She got 2 CC yesterday and 2 today. So I'll just not give her anymore until tomorrow.

I'll also start pilling her with the vit E right after she enjoys her tuna snack (with it's selenium), it'll work better for both of us.
It's o.k. if you did.
I see they have changed the labeling which is interesting, so maybe it's not that big of a deal, but 3cc is quite a bit. If she's only 3 pounds, then I'd give her 1cc poultry cell daily along with the E and see how it goes.

Glad she likes the tuna.

Back
Top Bottom