Chicken walking backwards, sneezing a bit, watery diarrhea

Heatstroke seems more likely. There's never been any ND here.

At any rate, my girl seems to improve greatly for a few hours every time I give her Poultry Cell. So I'm going to keep doing that with the tuna (which she gobbles up with great gusto!) and with the vitamin E. I've got 20 bags of the Scratch 'n Peck, so we're going to have to do what we do with it for a bit. If the supplementation does fix her, then maybe I can get some normal layer feed and mix it in/fill one feeder w/ that and leave the other. IDK. I'll figure it out.

She spent all day being a normal chicken with her flock, just walking a bit oddly with head down/flat back. But she stands up straight now when she's not moving and had no problem getting up on her roost for the night. I'm cautiously optimistic that we've got a deficiency issue.

Last edited:
No, I don't think so. It's just odd that she did this for a few days as a few day old chick and here we are again. I hope there's nothing wrong with her internally, but she has never seemed unhealthy at all. She doesn't look in any way unhealthy now even.

That is a _great_ idea! And lets me save my (rather significant) investment!

Her poo other than the one episode of diarrhea, looks totally normal. This morning, she's back to the weirdness. I got her tuna and Poultry Cell and Vit E in her, let's see how she feels in a couple of hours. No other chickens are exhibiting any signs of illness and she still looks perfectly healthy and beautiful.

She still is sneezing occasionally, but without any "wetness" to it. More like the "I have dust in my nose" snorty sneeze.

Can chickens get COVID? We've all had it this past week... When I had it, for 3 days I had an unrelenting headache...

Edit: Internet says they can't catch COVID from us. So that's good.

Last edited:
That is a _great_ idea! And lets me save my (rather significant) investment!

Her poo other than the one episode of diarrhea, looks totally normal. This morning, she's back to the weirdness. I got her tuna and Poultry Cell and Vit E in her, let's see how she feels in a couple of hours. No other chickens are exhibiting any signs of illness and she still looks perfectly healthy and beautiful.

She still is sneezing occasionally, but without any "wetness" to it. More like the "I have dust in my nose" snorty sneeze.

Can chickens get COVID? We've all had it this past week... When I had it, for 3 days I had an unrelenting headache...

Edit: Internet says they can't catch COVID from us. So that's good.
Video of her actions? Upload video to youtube and provide a link.

An occasional sneeze is probably environmental - food/water in the nostrils, dust, etc. if she had respiratory illness, then she'd be exhibiting more symptoms - facing swelling, mucous, coughing, bubbles or pus in the eyes, lethargy, etc. etc.

Soaking the feed or fermenting it may be helpful so she'll eat all of it instead of picking and choosing.

I'd go to Walmart, CVS, etc. and pick up a bottle of Vitamin E and B-Complex. Give her 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily along with a little egg in addition to her normal feed. I understand you are giving Poultry Cell, but look at the label, 50IU of E per fluid ounce! so she's not getting enough E.

I'm giving her 400IU human vitamin E on 2 tsp of tuna in addition to the Poultry Cell. She's getting 3 CC (ml) of Poultry Cell a day - does she need more B?

I'll catch a video in a bit when I go out to check on her.

Edit: I've been thinking about just pilling her the vitamin E at bedtime instead of putting it on the tuna. She's not liking the doctored tuna as much as plain.

Last edited:
I'm giving her 400IU human vitamin E on 2 tsp of tuna in addition to the Poultry Cell. She's getting 3 CC (ml) of Poultry Cell a day - is that not enough B?

I'll catch a video in a bit when I go out to check on her.

Edit: I've been thinking about just pilling her the vitamin E at bedtime instead of putting it on the tuna. She's not liking the doctored tuna as much as plain.
Does she weigh 9 pounds?
Poultry Cell dose is 1cc per 3 pounds of weight.
It should be enough B for her.

You can just pop the vitamin E right into her beak and let her swallow the pill.

Does she weigh 9 pounds?
Poultry Cell dose is 1cc per 3 pounds of weight.
It should be enough B for her.

You can just pop the vitamin E right into her beak and let her swallow the pill.
Oh god no - maybe 3 pounds. The label just said "Give chickens 1-3cc per day during times of stress or competition." Yikes! I'll stop giving her so much!

On the plus side, she hasn't been _that_ badly overdosed. She got 2 CC yesterday and 2 today. So I'll just not give her anymore until tomorrow.

I'll also start pilling her with the vit E right after she enjoys her tuna snack (with it's selenium), it'll work better for both of us.

Oh god no - maybe 3 pounds. The label just said "Give chickens 1-3cc per day during times of stress or competition." Yikes! I'll stop giving her so much!

On the plus side, she hasn't been _that_ badly overdosed. She got 2 CC yesterday and 2 today. So I'll just not give her anymore until tomorrow.

I'll also start pilling her with the vit E right after she enjoys her tuna snack (with it's selenium), it'll work better for both of us.
It's o.k. if you did.
I see they have changed the labeling which is interesting, so maybe it's not that big of a deal, but 3cc is quite a bit. If she's only 3 pounds, then I'd give her 1cc poultry cell daily along with the E and see how it goes.

Glad she likes the tuna.

Back
Top Bottom